PDA

View Full Version : another career shift...

engleman
04-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I,ve been in the lawn care business now for about 10 years but only on a small scale (20-25 accts mostly by the cut). You see, I'm one of those "postal" workers who is about to get the shaft. I substitute on saturdays and when regular carriers take sick or vacation time off. It does'nt look good for me in that regard so I'm buying out a majority of an old (he just turned 70) friends business. This will include a 3 year old walker, a 16' enclosed trailer, and about 30 accounts, most of them monthlys. This will put me at a little over 50 accts. and I hope to increase that over the next few months. I'm also a 'certified' master gardener in Charlotte County, Fl. I anticipate an increased load of paperwork and marketing so I'm starting to read these forum letters to get some tips. I also just got the 30 day free trial of Gophers software and I'm hoping that will make things a little easier as well. My other basic equipment is:

2006 f-150 FX4 extended cab
16' flatbed trailer with fold down ramp
2008 52" Husqvarna ZTR
21" snapper self propelled push
top of the line Echo trimmers(2), edger, blower, extended reach hedge trimmer
16" Husqvarna chain saw
lesco 80# spreader

XtreemGreen
04-05-2010, 08:48 PM
I wish all the luck to ya my fellow Floridian... Im re-starting my business here in West Pasco county this year... I hope all goes well...

engleman
04-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Since I'm getting 30 new customers I'm wondering if I should put together some kind of an introduction letter. Something that states my qualifications, goals for their landscaping, pledging a continuation of excellent service they've been getting before I take over the accounts (May 1st)??? I'm going on site starting tomorrow with the seller to start getting to know the properties and meet the clients. Is a "cover" letter necessary or will just a business card do?

XtreemGreen
04-05-2010, 09:07 PM
I would do the letter and business card... Just make sure whatever you say in the letter, you stand behind it...Dont lead them on...

Good luck..

dhawk
04-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Hey Engleman,

Shoot me a pm if you want a copy of my intro letter I used when I bought my accounts.

I kept all of them except one, so I guess it worked ok.

I'm down here in Cape Coral - good fishing up in the harbor

Steve
04-06-2010, 05:32 AM
I'm buying out a majority of an old (he just turned 70) friends business.

Welcome to our forum!

When you say you are buying a majority of the business, does this mean your friend will still have part ownership in it? Will you continue to use that business name or will you be changing the name?

Shoot me a pm if you want a copy of my intro letter I used when I bought my accounts.

Dhawk, I'd love to see it if you could post it.

engleman
04-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Hello Steve, Thanks for the welcome. The 'new' accounts will be shifting over to my already in existance business name (Eric Kansman Mowing). The seller will not have any interest in the business other than talking about it during social outings or if I have a question regarding one of the accounts. The reason I said majority is that he's keeping a few of his accounts that are real close to his home so he doesn't get too bored this summer.

Steve
04-06-2010, 06:54 AM
Oh that is very interesting.

What has been your view on purchasing accounts vs marketing and trying to attract new customers?

I bet a lot of forum members are on the fence about this and don't know which way to go.

XtreemGreen
04-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Make sure theres a no compete claus in ya'lls agreement..