PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Company in SC

mossyoaks
04-05-2010, 06:53 AM
My name is Jonas, and I just started Mossy Oaks Lawn Care. I've been in business for one week now. I have very little experience in lawn care other than my own. I have always enjoyed doing this stuff and take great pride in a tidy green lawn. I am a Firefighter/Paramedic in Hilton Head as my official full time career. I would like to grow this business to enough clients to make about two or three thousand a month, and hopefully not have to hire anyone. I have found bidding to be the most challenging task as of yet. I am afraid that I have underbid my first two jobs, something I don't want to do. That's enough to start i guess.:D

Steve
04-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Hi Jonas,

Welcome to our forum!

I have found bidding to be the most challenging task as of yet. I am afraid that I have underbid my first two jobs, something I don't want to do.

Can you tell us a little about these jobs and what makes you think you underbid them?

mossyoaks
04-05-2010, 08:55 AM
I did not calculate my direct cost when bidding. I figured I would be willing to work for no less than $20/hr to start, so I bid with that in mind. I did not take into account that I needed to add around $12/hr to cover equipment, gas, etc. I am trying to sell a year round service at a constant monthly rate. I would be making the most profit in winter time, and working more in summer. I obviously have a lot to learn. I am not sure what my actual operating cost are. I just added up my estimated monthly expenses and divided it by the hours i want to work a month, then I need to add my profit to that. I did not do this when bidding these jobs, so I estimated i made about $8/hr.

Steve
04-06-2010, 05:50 AM
I am not sure what my actual operating cost are. I just added up my estimated monthly expenses and divided it by the hours i want to work a month, then I need to add my profit to that.

This is a great step forwards. With this you now are getting more focused on your costs and it will help you down the path of making more profits in the future.

Being involved with the fire and paramedic services, do you promote that at all in your marketing? Do you think it would help attract more customers and put them at ease with you?

mossyoaks
04-08-2010, 07:21 AM
I haven't marketed that angle. Almost all of us at the firehouse have businesses on the side. Everyone keeps telling me I need use that because it works so well for them. I am going to work on a way to incorporate into my marketing.

Steve
04-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Did you get a chance to ask around and see how they incorporate it and how they get it to work for them? It would be interesting to hear.

mossyoaks
04-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Most have a Maltese cross in their logo, or a banner on their van and/or stationary that says "firefighter owned and operated". Some even named their business "firehouse window cleaning". I find all of that stuff incredibly cheesy, but it appears to work quite well.

Steve
04-09-2010, 06:17 AM
Maybe you could even have a small picture of you with your gear on and explain how you are also a member of the XXXXXXX Fire Dept for XX amount of years.