PDA

View Full Version : another newbie

stew6371
04-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Hello all. I'm just getting started in the lawncare business. I have received some good ideas and info from here. Thanks for an awesome site Steve. I would like some feedback on my plans.
I plan on working my fulltime job until my lawncare business permits me to quit. Because of lack of funds I will be starting out with my 21" personnal mower, a gas trimmer and a gas blower. As business permits, I will upgrade. I'm also thinking about using the bed of my truck instead of a trailer for now. Will this appear unprofessional?

Steve
04-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Welcome to our forum!

It sounds good to me!

Have you looked into getting any signs for your truck? That always helps improve appearances.

mwgtrade
04-05-2010, 11:06 AM
I would like to tell you my opion about when you decide to upgrade and you will you should check out stihl brand trimmers.The first yeat i mowed i used a shindawa or how ever you spell it and got really frustrated.It was used but my brother had bought 2 brand new ones and came across the same problems I was having.It was hard to start and went through string like crazy.It felt like I was constently restringing and in the heat that becomes discouraging plus all three machines devoloped carbuerater problems.Last year we both switched to stihl fs90 and couldn't be happier.It it hardly uses string (I use stihl brand string) cranks on the first pull and is running like a champ plus in it cuts through just about the thickest stuff there is.As for your truck method I don't think that it would look too unprofessional but you will want to get a trailer soon as it is fastesr to unload and will come in handy all sorts of other projects.good luck and get mowin

stew6371
04-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. I do plan on getting signs for my truck. I haven't bought my trimmer or blower yet, so I will take your advice and look at the stihls. What kind of mower do you use as this I will need to upgrade as soon as I can? Also, any other advice is very welcome.

XtreemGreen
04-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Theres nothing wrong with Shindawia's.... Thats all Ive ever used as far as Trimmers or Edgers....Not to sound like an ***, but I dont go through a ton of string.. I dont run it right along concrete, fence or anything else rough...My Shindawia Edger (E260) is about 10 yrs old and still starts on the first or second pull... You have to take care of them and do proper maintenance...

I would shop around and get what feels the best for you...Stihl is a good product, but Ive had better luck using Shindawia...

stew6371
04-07-2010, 11:49 PM
A couple more questions. I heard a guy on the internet say the person that tries to stay small and be a one crew company with him working everyday never makes it. He said a person needs to get big enough to have more than one crew and hire workers. My opinion is either stay small and work the crew myself or go big and shoot for 3 or more crews. I just wanted some feedback with reasons and facts to support it. Also, if you do hire help, either to run a crew or just to help you, how do you retain employees in a job with little or no advancement? I may be thinking to far ahead, but these things keep running through my mind.

Steve
04-08-2010, 06:42 AM
I would think you should go with the business size you feel most comfortable managing. There is nothing wrong with that. You will see how things go as you continue on your path.

As far as keeping employees, you could always raise their salary or give them bonuses or even praise for doing good work.

Dont let any of this overwhelm you. Take it step by step and see how you feel as you grow.