PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Work

swstout
04-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Holiday work at home. The boss is working today so I am (was) working on my yard. Today is the first day I could raise my arms above my shoulders without hurting since I laid sod last week.

Funny, a week ago we had snow in the air. Thursday 83, Friday 88, Saturday 89 and today 93. I think I sweated off 5 pounds.

The boss went to Loweís last night and picked up about 60 plants. 4 Azaleas, 24 Vicca, 2 Pompano Grass, 2 Japanese Oak (they were $55 each), plus other perennial flowers and shrubs. She told me that if I was making other peoples lawns look good, I was making ours the same way. I call he boss because Iíve seen the job and donít want it. It will be 38 years in September so I guess itís working.

Youíll love this, My neighbor across the street bought 15 potted Crape Myrtles. He planted most of them pots and all until I noticed what he was doing. I helped him redo them. He then told me he did the same for almost all he planted this year so I helped him with them too. I got a contract from him to build his soil, fertilize, and general soil maintenance.

Happy Easter

Steve

mark123
04-04-2010, 04:53 PM
:) Keep the boss happy and everyone will be happy. ;)

picframer
04-05-2010, 06:17 AM
I thought your wife did the plant thing last year, I forget the details but it sure sounded like a lot of work.....LOL

Yesterday morning the daughter was at work and my son who is home from university was sleeping, I had about 16 yards of turf dressing left over from last year so I spread it on my own lawn, man if you have a lawn that needs to be turned around in a hurry and the client can afford it, turf dressing has stunning results.

So when my son go up we still have 300+ trees down in the back yard from a hurricane a few years ago, I made a small road with the excavator over the past few weeks so I could get a chipper in there, my son ran one of the excavators with a thumb allowing him to pick up trees in the woods, bring them out to me at the chipper, I cut the stump off and fed the entire tree in, we saved the stumps in a pile then he buried them, used the extra fill to extend the road, I then used a tractor with a loader to spread the wood chips on the trail, we probably generated 18 yards or more, next I will apply something very high in Nitrogen to brake the chips down. It was an amazing temp day here, I swear I have never seen a spring as mild as this one, we are a good month or more ahead of last year, if this keeps up, mowing will start in two weeks which is not good in my case as we are booked solid with other work and my university staff starts May 3rd.

Back to a massive wood cutting and chipping job for a golf course today to help the guys get caught up, finish a foundation tomorrow then start a fish pond for a community Wednesday which will be fun.

Steve
04-05-2010, 07:31 AM
my son ran one of the excavators with a thumb allowing him to pick up trees in the woods, bring them out to me at the chipper, I cut the stump off and fed the entire tree in, we saved the stumps in a pile then he buried them,

WOW! How wide of a tree can fit in there? That is amazing!

picframer
04-05-2010, 08:17 PM
WOW! How wide of a tree can fit in there? That is amazing!

10", the excavator can pick the tree up and simply feed it into the chipper, limbs and all, it's pretty amazing to watch.

Steve
04-06-2010, 06:15 AM
I'd love to see some video of that! That sounds amazing and probably pretty safe because you aren't manually trying to hand feed all that in there.

picframer
04-06-2010, 08:06 PM
I'd love to see some video of that! That sounds amazing and probably pretty safe because you aren't manually trying to hand feed all that in there.

It's super safe either way, these machines are designed and built in the USA, they have a steep price tag but sensors everywhere, next to impossible to get hurt.

Steve
04-07-2010, 05:18 AM
Youíll love this, My neighbor across the street bought 15 potted Crape Myrtles. He planted most of them pots and all until I noticed what he was doing. I helped him redo them. He then told me he did the same for almost all he planted this year so I helped him with them too

I wonder why he thought he could plant the pots too. Even those pots that are made out of material that will decompose in the ground, aren't you still supposed to take the material off before planting?

This would make for a great newspaper article topic for your local newspaper.