PDA

View Full Version : Is this sap?

Jack Rabbit
04-04-2010, 10:46 AM
What is this? The tree is an elm and the branch was cut about 3 years ago.

picframer
04-04-2010, 12:44 PM
What is this? The tree is an elm and the branch was cut about 3 years ago.

Yes, scrape it off then melt some perrafin wax very slowly and apply it, this will stop the sap from running out.

Little's
04-04-2010, 12:56 PM
It's a canker. Needs to be treated right away if you want to save the tree. Take the picture to a nursery and theyll tell you what you need to put on it.

Jack Rabbit
04-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks.

That's two different opinions. I'll act on the idea that it is a canker since that would harm the tree.

The tree seems healthy except for this.

Any more advice for a tie breaker?

The Cleaning Doctor
04-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Flip a coin?

:D

Steve
04-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Was this at a customer's property? Did they ask you to diagnose this problem?

How do you treat cankers?

Jack Rabbit
04-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Hi Steve,

This tree is on my property. I don't know about trees. That's why I'm asking here for help diagnosing it. I don't know how to treat tree diseases.

Any more info. or diagnoses or confirmation it is sap or disease?

Steve
04-06-2010, 05:09 AM
I was doing a little more research on tree cankers, there is quite a lot of information out there on this.

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/cankertree/cankertree.htm

Little's
04-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Yes it may be sap. But sap doesnt just leak out of a tree for no reason. You just need to treat the problem, most likely a canker. I read through the link posted by Steve, (no offense intended) and the info was a little spotty, and had some "half truths", so do more research before you make any decisions that may affect the life of the tree.
This is a good place to start, a good reference you should bookmark and refer back to when you need.
http://www.bioimages.org.uk/html/t1423.htm

Jack Rabbit
04-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks Brandon,

I bookmarked that bio images site. Looks useful. I'll look there for things that look like the tree.

The canker images at plantclinic didn't look like the tree. My tree has no bark damage or unusual bark colors or features. The cankers all showed, and described, bark problems.

I'll take a photo to a nursery or the county extension office for information.