PDA

View Full Version : Two More Uses for a Garden Tractor

picframer
04-04-2010, 06:26 AM
We use our X749 series to push the chippers around and to till lawns and gardens, we did 12 clients last week, man is this set up super fast for tilling and the results amazing, we win every job I bid as we do it in a fraction of the time and the results are far superior to a walk behind as it spins at a far higher rate and that back flap is desperate heavy, it levels and smooth's out the ground as you go. I can do a 45,000 square foot area in about 30 to 45 min, by hand that would be over half a day's work to a day, operational cost is less than $1.00 in fuel and we average close to $200.00 an hour while on site, take out transportation, and all the other costs the company is probably clearing in the $150. hr range.

To use a local term the fog is as thick as pea soup this morning, I can't even see half way down the driveway, it's supposed to burn off this morning but the quality of the images are not great, I see I need to get the pressure washer out also.

I was pulling the chipper on the trailer using a receiver hitch on the IMatch, I was at the dealer and one of the service fellows mentioned the number one cause of damaged hoods was customers pulling their tractors backwards as the wind can catch the hood, he went on to say his wife bought a new Toyota Matrix and it had two receivers, I could have one for free if I wanted so I took it. As luck turns out, it is the perfect height for loading and unloading and to be honest moving this around at clients, having it attached to the front is perfect.

The weights are to counter balance the tractor when loading, there were two occasions I felt the front end was light due to the angle but the weights fixed that.

Here is the tiller, needs to be washed which is one of the projects for today, this tiller has seen a lot of use, probably did 60++ places last year on the 2305, I am glad it works so well on the X749 as it frees up a loader for me.

swstout
04-04-2010, 06:53 AM
We use our X749 series to push the chippers around and to till lawns and gardens, we did 12 clients last week, man is this set up super fast for tilling and the results amazing, we win every job I bid as we do it in a fraction of the time and the results are far superior to a walk behind as it spins at a far higher rate and that back flap is desperate heavy, it levels and smooth's out the ground as you go.

Agter reading this I think I will forget the boxblade for smoothing out the ground. I can always get it later if needed. Thanks Andy.

Steve

picframer
04-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Agter reading this I think I will forget the boxblade for smoothing out the ground. I can always get it later if needed. Thanks Andy.

Steve

Steve, they both have their place, the tiller does an amazing job making the ground smooth (lawns & gardens) to a certain point, if the customer has large bumps the box blade is really the machine after tilling, at the same time I have been on sites where I only had the tiller so I would explain to the client we can go at it in three directions and make it smooth howevere there will be an additional time cost, most accept and you will get it smooth. The Landscape rake with guage whells makes it look like a fairway if the client wants that extreme.

Steve
04-04-2010, 09:29 AM
the number one cause of damaged hoods was customers pulling their tractors backwards as the wind can catch the hood

Customers pulling their tractors backwards? How do you mean?

XtreemGreen
04-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Customers pulling their tractors backwards? How do you mean?

Loading the tractor backwards on a trailer...

picframer
04-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Loading the tractor backwards on a trailer...

Exactly as their is not good lock mechanism to hold the hood shut so it blows open and destroys the hood which I understand is $600 to $900 depending on the series.

Steve
04-05-2010, 07:02 AM
That is really fascinating! I bet that catches a lot of people off guard cause it's one of those 'who would have thunk' type situations. I am glad you brought that up.

picframer
04-05-2010, 08:24 PM
That is really fascinating! I bet that catches a lot of people off guard cause it's one of those 'who would have thunk' type situations. I am glad you brought that up.

Something really struck me tonight out giving quotes, when we offer a host of services, we may advertise just one to push it in a certain season, for me it's tilling, anyhow I looked at 5 tilling jobs tonight yet I walked away not only with the tilling but a host of other services, spraying, pressure washing, chipping and excavation at two yet that is not why they called me in the first place, they called for tilling.

Offering a host of services allows us to really maximize the profit to be made at each clients peoperty.

Steve
04-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Have you put together postcards for promoting tilling services?

How would you pick out who could use such services? What signs would you look for?

picframer
04-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Have you put together postcards for promoting tilling services?

How would you pick out who could use such services? What signs would you look for?

Yes we have a seperate card for every service we do, if I am driving by, if we are working next door and see the neighbour has a garden, I also took out a small ad in the paper promoting this service.

Steve
04-07-2010, 05:10 AM
This is very interesting. What % of customers need the tilling for their garden vs their lawn?

Also do you find tilling services are more popular at certain times of the year over others?

picframer
04-07-2010, 05:52 AM
This is very interesting. What % of customers need the tilling for their garden vs their lawn?

Also do you find tilling services are more popular at certain times of the year over others?

It's out of balance IMHO, we are tilling 40% lawns and 60% gardens, people are sick of their lawns and tilling them under, rolling, adding top soil and seeing or soding, there is a desperate amount of activity, at least for us yet I haven't seen the competition at the coffee shop or on the roads yet, I haven't even noticed any gear being towed yet we are going flat out, I now have three excavators in the field, inquiries per day are a min of 3, Sunday was a record of 14. There is no way I can keep up with quotes and my sales guy I planned on putting into place decided on an office job in the city, met him at a gas station a couple of days ago, man has he put the weight back on big time:)

Steve
04-07-2010, 06:36 AM
people are sick of their lawns and tilling them under, rolling, adding top soil and seeing or soding

When a customer is looking to till their lawn, do you ever mention they try something else first before doing that or if they want it, that's what they will get?

picframer
04-07-2010, 07:58 PM
When a customer is looking to till their lawn, do you ever mention they try something else first before doing that or if they want it, that's what they will get?

If that is what they want that is what they get, I do however push our rolling, spraying and seeding and more often than not we get those jobs in addition, the tilling although good money is just another door opener service we offer.