PDA

View Full Version : Okay i need your advice

EgLawns
04-03-2010, 07:51 PM
So today i was mowing some lawns. I got home and was told to find my baby brothers. I saw their bikes beside thhe local wood so i went to find them. when we got home i had 2 ticks on me. So my question is how do i know if i have any in my hair?(my hair is really long/thick)

jklawncare
04-03-2010, 08:36 PM
i have long thick brown hair too..i plan on getting it cut short for the first time since 5th grade lol for the season

but i live in the woods..very secluded so i get ticks on me all the time

all you really gotta do is massage your head and really feel your scalp especially the back of your neck

it will feel like a little tiny bump

if you find one dont pull it out
have someone get it for you..if you pull it or they pull it by its body its head is still in your skin and will continue to suck and get bigger..also if you grab it by its stomache..infected fluids can squirt out of its mouth and into you..

have someone pull it as close to the head as they can..dont twist or turn it or its head will pop off

if the head pops off try using a credit card or something to scoop it out..that happened to me once

also if its on your clothes (we get massive ticks) they are hard to flick or smash..so grab a lighter and burn it off..haha sounds weird but if we try pulling most off of our clotes it sticks to your fingers and stuff and there big and freaky so me and my friends just burn them...they get dime sized around here..

EgLawns
04-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks, the funny thing is my brothers were in the woods for hours and had NO ticks, while i was in there for 5 minutes and got 2 of them on me. Is there a certain reason why that happened?

Steve
04-04-2010, 06:10 AM
I did some research on that and found "ticks seek hosts by an interesting behavior called "questing." Questing ticks crawl up the stems of grass or perch on the edges of leaves on the ground in a typical posture with the front legs extended, especially in response to a host passing by. Certain biochemicals such as carbon dioxide as well as heat and movement serve as stimuli for questing behavior. Subsequently, these ticks climb on to a potential host which brushes against their extended front legs." From here (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080426180708AAOwKcl).

It's possible you just walked in an area that had a couple and they didn't.

EgLawns
04-04-2010, 06:02 PM
What you were saying with the heat thing, I just finished roller blading for around 30 minutes. Is it possible that my raised body temp made me more susceptible to a tick?

Steve
04-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Yes, it seems that is something that attracts them.