PDA

View Full Version : Steve told me to say hi!!!

jerreber
04-02-2010, 12:01 AM
So Hello! I just started my own landscape design, construction and grounds maintenance business. I have experience since I was about 12 (I'm 36 now) years old starting out mowing the neighbors lawns and then by high school I had around 50 accounts that help pay my way through college where I studied Landscape Architecture. I then went to work for a major company working my way up to design and sales. Unfortunatley, the company I worked for was had almost a half a million in un collected revenue by several construction companies we did work for that had gone belly up (I'm in Michigan which has a terrible economy) Much of our work was MDOT road projects. I looked for employment but there just isn't any in the area for someone in my position as a sales/designer. All the major companies are struggling in the area and the little guys simply cannot afford to add people and pay much so I decided that I would jump in the game and start my own business and keep it small and manageable for now. I do free lance landscape design for several of the smaller companies that can't afford a full time designer so that's really helping out so far. I have a small grounds maintenance division but only have about a couple of days of work for 2 people and I'm finding it is a struggle to find decent paying work out there with so much competition in the area. Many companies are pretty cut throat out there and seem to be lowering their prices in fear of not having work. I can see where this can easily happen. It's hard to fight the urge to do the same but my belief is that if you offer a high level of service at reasonable prices you will come out on top and make a pretty good living - I hope anyway!! You can view my company at www.allterrascape.com if you would like. Also, I would appreciate any advice you veterans out there have!

Steve
04-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Welcome to our forum.

When you look back at the time you were running your business in HS and got it up to 50 customers, what kinds of things did you do to attract them?

Is it possible the same tactics would work today?

jerreber
04-02-2010, 11:54 AM
I think that back then I had alot of help from my dad getting customers and I'm sure I was way cheaper than the professional companies out there doing the same work. Also, I had the kid factor going on. Adults always feel better about helping young ambitious kids out or at least I do so I think that was a major factor. Ah to be a kid again! My dad always taught me to do a job right the first time and thats what I still believe today and that will always make anyone successful

adamsmowing88
04-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Well I live in Lansing right now, and am moving up north around Grayling. Good luck with your business this year, it really is tough around here. You have people on craigslist that will mow a yard for 10-15 bucks. I am sick of it, so I think I am going to try my luck around the lakes up there... Again good luck.

jerreber
04-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Well I live in Lansing right now, and am moving up north around Grayling. Good luck with your business this year, it really is tough around here. You have people on craigslist that will mow a yard for 10-15 bucks. I am sick of it, so I think I am going to try my luck around the lakes up there... Again good luck.

Hey I'm in Lansing! Your right about people charging nothing around here, it's gotten bad. Seems like all the big companies with high overhead are really struggling and the little guys are getting by. I'm going to keep it small and see how it goes. You don't do any work with Burgess Lawn do you? I know an "Adam's Mowing" who does work with the owner, wouldn't happen to be you by any chance?

Steve
04-03-2010, 04:19 AM
I think that back then I had alot of help from my dad getting customers

Do you remember some of the things he did to help you get customers? Did he just know a lot of people in the area? Or was it something else.

It seems a lot of times, those who have strong roots in their community with a lot of social connections, seem to really do well in whatever businesses they operate.