PDA

View Full Version : Is your town friendly to business?

Steve
07-18-2006, 01:14 PM
This was an interesting article talking about how some business owners in Madison Wisconsin are really frustrated with their local politicians. So much so one owner put up a sign to protest their displeasure.

How is your town or area when it comes to business? Are they supportive or do they have too many regulations?

Is city a bully to business? (http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/top/index.php?ntid=91425&ntpid=1) - The complaints are heaped atop longstanding frustrations with taxes and hassles such as getting approval for a construction project, liquor license or just a business sign, Alexander and others said.

Until a few years ago, the city required a special $250 license to allow dancing in bars and restaurants, even in front of a jukebox.

tiedeman
07-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Our local city only supports the downtown area. They do not support having big box stores come in at all. It's really frustrating, because as a local I have to travel 15-20 miles out of the city to just see a good movie, or shop at home depot and walmart.

Steve
07-19-2006, 01:18 PM
What's their goal of not allowing such business growth

tiedeman
07-19-2006, 01:53 PM
A lot of the people on the city council own the downtown businesses

kc2006
07-19-2006, 04:27 PM
I know some of the surrounding cities are like Troy's. Which I can understand where they're coming from. The cities around here want to keep the big stores out so that local business owners can still survive. The cities here aren't lead by the business owners, so it's actually kind of nice that they're looking out for locals.

The township I live in is pretty good with businesses. The township is pretty strict on zoning for other things but when it comes to a business they don't mind it being at a residence as long as your not selling retail. So services are fine.

Steve
07-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Does keeping bigbox stores out help do you feel? Or should they be let in?

Then could the smaller stores survive by finding a niche the larger companies couldn't fulfill?

kc2006
07-19-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't know if keeping the big guys out helps. I mean in this economy saving money is great, and you can normally do that with the big box stores, but at the same time its nice to go with a locally owned company (to me). They opend up a second home depot here, theres one in the neighboring city and now one in our township, we also have a sears across the street, and a locally owned place on the other side of the township. I go to the locally owned one if I need little stuff because it's literally less then 2 minutes away, but for big stuff that I know I can save good money on I go to home depot.

I think thats how it is, the locally owned place's sales probably dropped off, but I think they still do pretty good business and they really cater to the contractors (in hopes of getting more of their business I think).

tiedeman
07-19-2006, 10:54 PM
This is my opinion on the matter: Nobody locally really shops in the downtown area because the downtown shops are only "speciality shops." Basically gift shops. Most people come from out of town shop in the downtown area.

Many local people are sick and tired of not having any big box stores. The last two years the local township and city has been fighting over zoning to allow a Super Walmart, Walgreens, and Home Depot to be developed just on the northern edge of the city limits. We really do not have any type of clothing stores, shoe stores, or discount stores in the area. The only discount stores that we have are dollar stores and we have like 5 of them, which only helps out the lower income people. Many people would love to see a Home Depot, Walmart, Old Navy, Staples, and many more come into the city, but the city isn't really moving.

Steve
07-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Good points!

Another thing I was thinking was this.

Why do towns get all worked up about protecting small businesses when it comes to big box stores. Are they really trying to protect small business owners or is there another reason hidden behind it all?

But if a national franchise of say lawn care comes into town, would you hear those local officials say they want to protect the small businesses then?

Do you feel there is a difference? If so why is there such a difference?

kc2006
07-20-2006, 11:52 AM
From what I've always been told, the big stores always want some kind of kick backs from the area or they won't put the store there. They have the "we dont need you" mentality. We almost had a pets mart put in here but the township wouldn't cut them a break on taxes so they went to the next town over and built. Maybe thats why the local officials like smaller business?

Steve
07-20-2006, 02:00 PM
That is a good point. I had thought the towns offered these incentives to bring the stores into their town versus the next.

It's interesting how this all goes isn't it? When was the last time you were offered tax incentives?

Why are there such things as tax incentives? Are they fair?