PDA

View Full Version : 1st sod job

swstout
04-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Did my first sod job of the year today. Last week we had snow in the air and today it was 89. It was a fairly small job - 2,000 sq. ft.

Boy, did the winter get me out of shape. Iím starting to hurt in places I forgot I had! Yesterday I tilled, smoothed the lot and spraued NatureĎs Magic and Aerify. Today I laid the sod and watered it in. I was cheap and decided to do it by myself. I guess Iíll get back into shape quickly - have 5 more sold.

Anyone else feeling the winterís inactivity?

Steve

SuperiorPower
04-01-2010, 10:05 PM
yea.... Geez, I am sore from working in the shop. On that note, I am headed out the door to go walking. Yea, yea, yea.... I know. Its 10 pm but oh well! I need to get in shape because in 6-7 weeks I will be hiking with my brother in northern Idaho!!!

JP Landscaping
04-01-2010, 10:21 PM
I hear you on the sore part. Today was my 4th day and i'm feeling it pretty good.

Speaking about sod...how long did it take you to lay it. I have an estimate to do for 1100 sq ft. I'm thinking about 5 hours to lay it by hand.

swstout
04-01-2010, 11:25 PM
It took me about 6 hours. It was 88 today and I'm 61. On top of the sore muscles, I'm sunburned too.

Steve

picframer
04-01-2010, 11:33 PM
I thought walking the dog, cutting and chipping a few trees around my property, cutting firewood and such would keep me in shape, I did great the first few chipping jobs this year but this week has been really tough and I am really feeling it. The only thing I can compare it to is the guys working for me that are a good 15 to 20 years my younger and all in what appears to be good shape, they are generally dead by the end of the day and I still have enough energy to come home, walk the dog and cook supper but it will be a few weeks before I am back in the shape I was in the fall, than goodness as we have some massive sod jobs coming in May and as we all know, those are brutal.

Rexdale Grass
04-02-2010, 07:16 AM
April 1st was my first day back to work here in toronto did a lot of raking, man did the arms feel it, I got blister on me fingers as stuie from famly guy said. I also did 200ft of edging by hand. I do it by hand because most of my places are all well kept but this was the first time for this place makes me want to my tools. haha.http://www.gopherforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

TWIN-CITIES GREEN TEAM
04-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Steve, What did you spray before you layed sod?Aerify, and Natures Magic What is that for and where do you get it? We are in MN. and I've never used it, certain types of soil? everyone gets it? And yes we are feeling winter, we do clean-outs for foreclosures in the winter besides plowing so were not to sore, but I feel it, back of legs from raking!!Thanks for all the great tips you guy's Sue TWIN-CITIES GREEN TEAM LLC

swstout
04-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Steve, What did you spray before you layed sod?Aerify, and Natures Magic What is that for and where do you get it? We are in MN. and I've never used it, certain types of soil? everyone gets it? And yes we are feeling winter, we do clean-outs for foreclosures in the winter besides plowing so were not to sore, but I feel it, back of legs from raking!!Thanks for all the great tips you guy's Sue TWIN-CITIES GREEN TEAM LLC

Non-organic, chemical fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides make soil infertile primarily by killing off the soilís biolife. Fertilizers contain only nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium (called the macro-nutrients). The N-P-P you see on the bags, Natureís Magic contains about 40 micro-nutrients essential for healthy soil and soil biolife. Aerify is a bio-enhanced aerator. If is far superior to core aeration and has the bacteria and enzymes needed for both plants and biolife.

You can get them and more at http://www.natureslawn.com (http://www.natureslawn.com/). Spent some time on the site and read about their products. All organic and very effective products for insect control, weed control, soil building, fertilizers and more.

Go to the bottom of any page and click on the links. Itís a real learning experience.

Steve

mark123
04-02-2010, 02:46 PM
... Anyone else feeling the winterís inactivity?

Well, let me put it this way. I had no trouble falling asleep last night and I didn't wake up until 8am (an hour later than my usual). :D