PDA

View Full Version : Questions We Have

devuono311
04-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I am a new business owner, and I have gone legit. However, it has been an EARLY spring here in MI. People are already doing their lawns, am I too late with my push? I ran some newspaper ads a few weeks ago, four weeks long I ran them and calls are few to none, I've placed flyers, still, few calls. WEhat can I do? I've put all my eggs in this basket and feeling a little discouraged. Any advice would be great. Here are my questions:

1. Is it too late to approach real estate companies about property managment for there listings?

2. What can I do better to get more clients?

Thanks for reading Im open for advice.

Steve
04-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Welcome to our forum!

1. Is it too late to approach real estate companies about property managment for there listings?

It is never too late to contact anyone. The more people you can talk to the better.

Have you talked to your neighbors? Have you handed out flyers and given lawn quotes in your area? How many people in your area know that you are now in business? The more people that do, the better your chances are at gaining new customers.

Have you put ads in craigslist too?

I ran some newspaper ads a few weeks ago

What kind of ad did you run and what section did you put it in?

wellbiz
04-02-2010, 09:08 AM
I am a new business owner, and I have gone legit. However, it has been an EARLY spring here in MI. People are already doing their lawns, am I too late with my push? I ran some newspaper ads a few weeks ago, four weeks long I ran them and calls are few to none, I've placed flyers, still, few calls. WEhat can I do? I've put all my eggs in this basket and feeling a little discouraged. Any advice would be great. Here are my questions:

Thanks for reading Im open for advice.

devuono311,

I feel your pain. I am also in MI and have been advertising like crazy (mailed out 1000 postcards with 2000 more in the next couple of weeks, distributed a couple hundred flyers, add goes in the paper sunday, website, adwords, etc) and the phone is silent.:(

I dont think it is too late to approach real estate companies or real estate agents for that matter. I agree with Steve in that regard. I would continue your newspaper ad if you can afford it. Also submit your business info to google local business listings www.google.com/local/add (http://www.google.com/local/add) and also to bing and yahoo local search. You dont need a website to submit a listing in most cases. Also not a bad idea to have some web presence if you can afford it. You can get some pretty cheap hosting and most places have templates you can use. I use godaddy, but I know Intuit and even vistaprint offer some good deals.

I would say that for the most part the grass is still not ready to be cut in most areas. I suspect that most homeowners are procrastinators and we will start seeing the phone ring when the lawns actually need to be cut. I suspect 2 more weeks.

My best method for getting work has been word of mouth. It is a slow go, but at least it is a start. Start talking to friends and family. Spread the word you are in business and looking for work. We are in a pretty tough economy in MI right now so it is going to take some time and work to build up a business. Dont give up.

Jason

devuono311
04-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I really appreciate your advice guys, keep it coming. Also, Jason, keep in touch pm me or email me if you want to talk about Michigan business!!Thanks!!!

Steve
04-03-2010, 04:34 AM
Have you all also spread out the services you offer as well? Do you look around the houses of your customers and point out issues you can fix? If it is tough getting new customers, are there more services you could offer your current customer base?

wellbiz
04-03-2010, 08:59 AM
I really appreciate your advice guys, keep it coming. Also, Jason, keep in touch pm me or email me if you want to talk about Michigan business!!Thanks!!!

No problem!