PDA

View Full Version : new business questions...

dsquad6
04-01-2010, 05:54 AM
Heres a little bit about what I am going to be doing: My friend and I are going into a business together and both live in PA and both are 21 and older. We have a truck, trailer, landscaping tools, mowers and hand tools. The only thing we have to get that we want is a used zero turn. We are basing my buisness in the back yard to store things and in return to keep there yard looking good. So we have no costs such as internet and rent (Parent household). Were getting everything ready such as website, advertising, purchasing the zero turn. But we need to know what to do with the business like to make it legal and such. We want to do contracts and such. So I guess heres a questions:

1: Insurance, Do we need some right away and does it look good for customers?

2:Our business name is " D & F Landscaping and Lawn Care" how do we put them in so no copyright issues or do we have to do that?

3:Are we "legal", I hear people saying this all the time I dont understand what they are talking about.

4:We live in PA, were doing the basics (Lawn Service, Landscaping, Snow plowing) and I didnt know if it was a big deal to go in a different state or the steps we had to take, this would help us big time with more customer based with a very close drive.

Please write anything and everything that you think about this.

We are hitting our advertising really much, which I think is a big deal including: door hangers, business cards, buisness card quotes, flyers, website, truck window advertising.

*If were going to start the busniness up next year for spring clean ups, when do you think when to advertise? I was thinking like after this years lawn service so we can get the word out plus bid/contact customer for the following year. Were skipping this year up coming snow plowing season and going to start after our first year lawn service and landscaping.

Thanks so much and hope to hear from others!

Steve
04-01-2010, 08:24 PM
1: Insurance, Do we need some right away and does it look good for customers?

Most commercial accounts will require it. Most residential accounts won't think to ask.

Do you need it right away? I would liken it to auto insurance. Would you drive without that?

2:Our business name is " D & F Landscaping and Lawn Care" how do we put them in so no copyright issues or do we have to do that?

You can go to your local county court house and register your business name.

3:Are we "legal", I hear people saying this all the time I dont understand what they are talking about.

I would say, is your business registered, are you insured, do you pay taxes. These are the biggies.

4:We live in PA, were doing the basics (Lawn Service, Landscaping, Snow plowing) and I didnt know if it was a big deal to go in a different state or the steps we had to take, this would help us big time with more customer based with a very close drive.

Sometimes different communities require you to have a contractor license for the town you are performing services in. You have to check with the town for that information.

If were going to start the busniness up next year for spring clean ups, when do you think when to advertise? I was thinking like after this years lawn service so we can get the word out plus bid/contact customer for the following year. Were skipping this year up coming snow plowing season and going to start after our first year lawn service and landscaping.

Are you not starting this Spring? If not, why not?