PDA

View Full Version : Mower Transmissions

LawnMedic
03-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Do a lot of places where you guys live repair transmissions or just replace them? Do gear ratios matter or can you swap a lot of transmissions?

SuperiorPower
03-31-2010, 11:53 PM
Do a lot of places where you guys live repair transmissions or just replace them? Do gear ratios matter or can you swap a lot of transmissions?

That is a broad question. They can be repaired in certain circumstances but in the same time, at times the trannys need to be replaced. You may be able to find a tranny that fits but I would make sure the model is the same. Same # of gears, pulley size, etc..... Its not as easy its a tranny, its a tranny... Just like cars, mower tranny's are different from each other.

Steve
04-01-2010, 03:41 AM
What is going on with your transmission? Is it totally shot?

Do they sell rebuild kits you can get your hands on?

SuperiorPower
04-01-2010, 06:20 AM
Do they sell rebuild kits you can get your hands on?

Steve,

I am relatively certain that rebuild kits aren't available. Trannys are a PIA so most techs won't touch them because they are not worth rebuilding. One of the biggest causes of problems is moisture or the grease drying up. With the new hydrostatic transmissions I have seen them run out of oil and then absorb moisture which destroys them instantly.

Typically trannys are repaired part by part or not at all.

Steve
04-01-2010, 08:26 PM
I wonder if there would be a business opportunity for a mower transmission rebuild service, that could be promoted through a website. :)

SuperiorPower
04-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Actually, typically, mower transmissions (especially the manual transmissions) are not worthy repairing. New trannys may cost several hundred bucks but when you figure in your parts, labor, and the fact you have a used tranny it is typically not worthy doing it. Typically the pulley and wheels are rusted on so hard that it would take a miracle to get them off. Then the input shaft is usually stuck or at least severely rusted. All bearings need replaced, seals, detents, sometimes the shifter and shifter keys. And then what ever the actual problem is.... At least that is my experience.

LawnMedic,

What is the problem with the current tranny? is it completely shucked? What type of tranny is it (manual or hydrostatic)?

LawnMedic
04-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Bought a new tranny. Having a hard time getting the tranny pulley off though on the very bottom of the mower. Removed 2 alan screws and a retainer clip and still nothing....

XtreemGreen
04-05-2010, 11:34 AM
You may need to either heat it up some, or take it to someone that has a puller to get the pulley off..Sometime's it may even be worth to just buy a new pulley..

Steve
04-06-2010, 05:12 AM
Having a puller is a nice tool to have and they aren't that expensive. Any time you have any machinery with a pulley, you are almost guaranteed to have an issue in the future where you want to get it off.

I did a quick search and there are many pulley pullers out there.

http://cdn2.overstock.com/images/products/L11568313.jpg
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Pulley-Puller-and-Installer-Set/3499191/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11568313

SuperiorPower
04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
I find that many times it is cheaper to get the pulley off however you have to, even if you have to destroy it. If you have anything else to do with your time then typically it is cheaper to destroy and replace.

One thing that I would recommend though, use anti-seize on the shaft when you install the new pulley. This is pretty important. This will typically prevent this problem in the future.

Good luck
Eli

LawnMedic
04-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Got the pulley off... some penetrating grease and a hammer and crow bar. Then 100 other pieces had to be removed to finally remove the tranny. Anyway got it on and works flawlessly. Running like new. Thanks for all the help.

Steve
04-07-2010, 04:19 AM
Congratulations! I'd love to have seen some pictures of all that!