PDA

View Full Version : Plant sales

Billz
07-12-2006, 08:52 PM
I am looking to branch out into plant sales, mainly expansive varieties of Japanese Maples, and other specially grown pines... anyone have any experience or tips to share? I have an area big enough to grow about 30 I think easily, and if there is actually going to be money in it, I can get more space.

Steve
07-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Oh this is a very interesting idea.

What inspired you to go in this direction?

Billz
07-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Looking to buy some for my home...the prices seemed high, but almost every new home here has one. I was thinking of growing the more expensive ones and trying to sell them here retail...

Steve
07-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Hi Billz,

Here are some sites I found. There is a ton of information out there. Just do a google search on how to grow japanese maples.

http://www.fantasticplants.com/About%20Japanese%20maples.htm

http://www.mountainmaples.com/WS4D_Co....ex.html (http://www.mountainmaples.com/WS4D_Cookie=7.13.06_09,31,34_12/index.html)

Keep us posted on how this project evolves.

I bet you could even sell these mail order.

tiedeman
07-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Make sure to check with your states Department of Agriculture. Some states require businesses to have a type of license or permit to grow and sale plant material

Billz
07-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Do they in Michigan Troy?

The biggest problem I am finding is to grow the dwarf varieties that stay smaller, you need to graft them...that looks confusing. I found a supplier that sells 50 of the seedlings for 75$...that is tempting.

Steve
07-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Did the supplier have any suggestions on how to successfully graft them?

mowboy
07-14-2006, 01:48 AM
I think there is money in growing/selling plant material. I've considered it myself over the years but in the end I decided if you are going to do it, you have to go big. The closest I came was once when a large condo complex I looked after asked me to remove all the plant material around all the buildings because they were doing extensive repairs to the building and needed to put scaffolding up over a 5 month period. The shrubs would never make it and it was not worth the money to try and store them and care for them over 5 months and then transplant them back again. So they just said take them away. I took then to my house and had a huge plant sale over 2 weekends and made $3000. Plus they paid me to take them out! *http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Anyway, back to the point. I'm not being a pessimist... but I do believe in counting the costs and risks when thinking about new ventures. So, I can't help but think that when you add up the cost to set it all up, to feed, prune and otherwise care for them over years and then the risk of losing them all through disease or a storm... is it worth it for 30 plants? How much do these things retail for anyway?

Food for thought...

Billz
07-16-2006, 12:53 AM
retail here for a 2 ft tall seedling is about $60...for a 4 ft tall one they are selling for about $400. If it took 5 years to grow them to a $300 stage, then it could be $9000...I would need to have 30 every year start growing for it to be worthwhile, then that would need a huge space...the pruning and feeding i really enjoy, so that would not be a factor...seems like small scale could be a hobby at least.

mowboy
07-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Sure, if you enjoy it then it is a hobby that you can make a few bucks with. If you end up really enjoying it you could always decide to grow the operation from there.

Good luck with it Billz.

tiedeman
07-18-2006, 02:07 PM
I say go for it. I personally think that you could perhaps have the trees up and growing faster with the right kind of fertilizer. Look into SuperThrive.

Billz
07-18-2006, 06:32 PM
I think I will buy some and see... worst case scenerio, all the trees die and I am out like $100...it will be interesting to play with while the grass isn't growing!

Steve
07-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Billz,

I do like the idea. I like it because you are experimenting. You never know when you are going to hit on something. You also don't know if this idea will lead you to another even better idea.

I do look forwards to hearing your updates and possibly even seeing some pictures you can take of your setup!