PDA

View Full Version : Yard of weeds !?!

B&TLawns
03-30-2010, 06:02 PM
I was talking to one of my neighbors today, and think that I may have gotten my first job. However, when looking at their yard, it seems that they have basically no grass at all, mainly weeds. I want to help him get his yard looking as nice as possible, but don't think he will go for tearing everything up and replanting.

Any tips on how I can turn his yard full of weeds into a a lush grassy yard, without clearing and replanting?

-Brandon

CHEESE2009
03-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Well, if he doesn't want to have his lawn redone.

Dethatch his entire lawn hardcore, lay down fertilizer (without potassium) & overseed.

From then on, cut his grass higher than usual. 3' should be a good start.

As the grass gets ready for mowing this season, you could spend a bit of time plucking a few weeds, though we can imagine how brutal that would be.

I suggest bag the grass(weeds) the first couple of mow jobs, then mulch from then on.

If you spot any dandelions, bag the grass during that mow job. If there are only a few dandelions, take the time to rip them out of the lawn, then mulch the grass.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
03-30-2010, 10:03 PM
a stick of dynamite might work???? Then its just a hole in the ground though..... the option you stated and the option breeze stated about all you can do and you already said the first is out of the question.

swstout
03-30-2010, 10:44 PM
I was talking to one of my neighbors today, and think that I may have gotten my first job. However, when looking at their yard, it seems that they have basically no grass at all, mainly weeds. I want to help him get his yard looking as nice as possible, but don't think he will go for tearing everything up and replanting.

Any tips on how I can turn his yard full of weeds into a a lush grassy yard, without clearing and replanting?

-Brandon

Check your soil pH. Most weeds like a pH of 7.0 or above. Sulfur will lower pH.

Most turf grass Grow well in a slightly acid pH. The exception is St. Augustine grass.

I would first treat the lawn with Nature’s Magic and Aerify. Natures Magic builds a quality soil and Aerify will allow roots to develop deeper and stronger. Then, I would overseed and as previously mention allow th grass to grow to 3”. 3” grass will have 3” roots. The taller grass will shade the weeds which require full sun to develop.

The lawn has probably been treated with chemical fertilizers and pesticides which render the soil infertile. Mature’s Magic will detoxify the soil and add the required micro-nutrients for healthy grass. Healthy grass with strong root systems will push out the weeds.

Steve

B&TLawns
03-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Check your soil pH. Most weeds like a pH of 7.0 or above. Sulfur will lower pH.

Most turf grass Grow well in a slightly acid pH. The exception is St. Augustine grass.

I would first treat the lawn with Nature’s Magic and Aerify. Natures Magic builds a quality soil and Aerify will allow roots to develop deeper and stronger. Then, I would overseed and as previously mention allow th grass to grow to 3”. 3” grass will have 3” roots. The taller grass will shade the weeds which require full sun to develop.

The lawn has probably been treated with chemical fertilizers and pesticides which render the soil infertile. Mature’s Magic will detoxify the soil and add the required micro-nutrients for healthy grass. Healthy grass with strong root systems will push out the weeds.

Steve

Thanks, and thank you as well Cheese2009. I am definitely going to try these suggestions, and see if I can get this guys lawn nice and lush.

And MountainViewGreenskeeper haha I think I should run that one by him and see what he thinks. :p