PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas on Easing Customers into New Ownership?

Angelik83
03-28-2010, 12:08 PM
I've been around the business for over 10 years already, it's my father's business and I've worked with him off and on. A few months ago he offered me a partnership after I got fired from my 9-5 job. So I've been working with him and most of his customers see me every week when we're working but only some I've started a dialogue with.

My dad is just about ready to retire and I'm more than willing to take over but is there anything we can do to help customers with this change? A lot of them already see and trust me, but he's still completely dealing with the billing, etc. I don't plan on changing their rates or anything drastic. It'll just be a different guy out there helping instead of my dad.

So should we bring in the new guy while my dad is still there? Leave a letter explaining the new ownership? I don't want to scare off the customers is what I'm saying. Sometimes change scares people off. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Big Bad Bob
03-28-2010, 02:03 PM
I've been around the business for over 10 years already, it's my father's business and I've worked with him off and on. A few months ago he offered me a partnership after I got fired from my 9-5 job. So I've been working with him and most of his customers see me every week when we're working but only some I've started a dialogue with.

My dad is just about ready to retire and I'm more than willing to take over but is there anything we can do to help customers with this change? A lot of them already see and trust me, but he's still completely dealing with the billing, etc. I don't plan on changing their rates or anything drastic. It'll just be a different guy out there helping instead of my dad.

So should we bring in the new guy while my dad is still there? Leave a letter explaining the new ownership? I don't want to scare off the customers is what I'm saying. Sometimes change scares people off. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Seems to me that if your Dad is satisfying the customers, they will trust you to satisfy them.
As far as change, I'd think they'd be more nervous of change by changing service companies. After all, you'd just be carrying on with your Dad's tradition. As long as you don't start doing things drastically different, at least right away, you should be fine.
There will probably be a few things you will want to change in the future and you may lose a few customers because of it but as long as those changes have a positive impact on your service you shouldn't have many problems. Just ease slowly. And communicate with your customers. Most don't care about your methods as long as you get good results.
And maybe let them know that you will be consulting with Dad, from time to time, as to any problems which may occur.
Good luck. You'll be fine.

Angelik83
03-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I won't be changing much since my dad has been doing good with the way he does it, just maybe adding to services available down the road.

Thanks again!

StartALawnCareBusiness
03-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Seems to me like this won't be much of an issue.

Is your Dad going to move from full-time to zero-time all at once? You might think about hiring him as a 'consultant' for three months to help in the transition. During this transition, gradually take more authority in dealing with customers. A gradual transition will be much less disruptive to your customers.

Good luck:

Keith

Steve
03-28-2010, 08:11 PM
That is a good question!

How do you feel about taking over the business? What parts do you feel you have a total understanding of and what parts do you feel you need a lot of help with?