PDA

View Full Version : Edward Hunter Yardworks

mhatkins
03-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Hi all. I've been on here for a couple of weeks, but never really introduced myself. My brother and I are getting ready to open up. We have been tossing around different ideas for our business name and decided on Edward Hunter Yardworks, (our middle names). We are having our first flyers made up now. We'll pick them up Monday and start distributing them that day. I look forward to chattin' with all ya'll on here!:)

Steve
03-26-2010, 07:49 PM
That is a fantastic name!

How will you split up the business duties between the two of you?

Do you have advice for others that want to go into business with family?

mhatkins
03-27-2010, 07:33 AM
We'll work together on most jobs. One cut, the other trim etc and vice-versa on the next job.We set up our schedule so that we are always in the same neighborhood. When working with family, you just have to have alot of understanding of the family member and patience. Know how eachother works and eachothers quirks. It helps that he and I are more like friends than brothers. Been like that since we were kids.

Steve
03-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Do you find that one is better at selling while the other is better at keeping the books? Or do you all work together on that too?

mhatkins
03-27-2010, 11:36 PM
We are about tit-for-tat. He's better at giving estimates than I am. But, I am a little better at the books. Yet, since I have 12 years of customer service and handling compliments and complaints, personally, and managing a crew of 4+ people on crews, I tend to have a better rapport with customers. We both have good managerial skills,but, I'm in charge of dealing with customers face to face on the job. He bids the jobs. I collect payments.
All our jobs are cash or check. We aren't set up for credit cards.

Steve
03-28-2010, 07:41 AM
I hope others on here are able to learn from all your insights on this. I think you are doing something that can be very difficult to pull off, yet very rewarding!