PDA

View Full Version : How to safely transport zero turn

Jlaugh
03-25-2010, 06:23 PM
I recently bought a 16 ft trailer that will be holding my 2 zero turn mowers. In the past we have had 1 zero turn on a smaller utility trailer. With that we could lock the mower in with straps in the front, but it still would sway from side to side at times.

We are trying to figure out how to hold our two zero turn mowers down more tightly to where they wont move around on us when we go from one site to another.

What do most people use to hold their zero turns in?

We have looked at these 2 options below but with the mower holder wheel lock I think the mowers could still pivot and move side to side in the back. Opinions?

With the fastraps, they may work but it seems like they would be kind of time consuming. Opinions?

http://www.junglejimsap.com/mholder.html

http://www.junglejimsap.com/fastrap.html

Thanks for the advice!

JP Landscaping
03-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Back when I worked for a company we used to just put a board behind the Z wheels like you would put a brick behind a trailer wheel. That worked for us. When we had long drives, we used regular straps or bungies. that worked well also.

CHEESE2009
03-25-2010, 09:54 PM
When we had long drives, we used regular straps or bungies. that worked well also.

bungies are awesome, though don't get too carried away or you'll lose an eye!

My old assistant let lose one of them, and it flinged up and cracked my eye protection glasses, scary stuff.

The biggest problem with equipment, is getting to it efficiently. I hate trying equipment down, but it's gotta be done.

There was a thread about this awhile back, I wonder what happened to it.

Steve
03-26-2010, 07:40 PM
The DOT regulates this stuff and if what ever you are using does not meet their requirements, you can be fined.

When you look to ordering such restraints, you need to find out if they are approved for such use.

One of our members, Andy, I remember was talking about getting pulled over because the tie downs he was using weren't wide enough.

I don't know if he got fined but there is always that potential.

Another thing is you don't want this equipment flying off in event of an accident. There would be huge liability issues then if it happened.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
03-26-2010, 08:23 PM
I dont know much about the zero turns but find a spot on the frame to weld a D ring(atleast 3) on, then some good straps. Thats what held the forklifts on the flat bed trailer when I was working for the sod company(we used chain and the rachet tighteners or whatever they called).

http://www.kitmondo.com/images%5Clisting%5C17_4_1.JPG

it doesnt show a d ring but they had it on the mast on each side just above the horizontal hydrolic ram in the middle the picture that tilts the mast forward and back and then ran a chain through the rear roll cage bar. Im not sure if DOT ok it but we never got pulled over and we had to follow strick regulation we were boarder line needing CDL just to drive the 1 ton trucks and trailer with the forklift. I think gvrw was 18,000 and its 21,000 to need a CDL I think these are numbers I heard 2 plus years ago so excuse me if Im wrong.

Anyways back to what you ask I say a D ring with some rachet staps that quick release it aight going no where that way. side this just poped into my head... you could lock it up as well this way.