PDA

View Full Version : Flooding & Aeration

vetlawns
03-25-2010, 06:48 PM
OK everyone, the calls from all the marketing that we've been doing (thanks to the techniques provided on GopherForum) are really coming in so here is my situation.

New customer lives next to a river here in Georgia and has had extensive flooding in the backyard. He wants aeration and overseeding. Would the organic product aerify be of any use in this situation? Don't have much experience with core aeration either.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
03-25-2010, 08:13 PM
So far it seems everyone on here who has used the aerify product has liked it.

the calls from all the marketing that we've been doing (thanks to the techniques provided on GopherForum) are really coming in so here is my situation.

What techniques have you been using?

MikeO
03-25-2010, 11:45 PM
We flood here every year it seem's like. We made national news last year. It was severe. Aeration in soggy and wet grass turns, to mud eventually. Most people here wait till it dries alot of it up then the phone rings. To your circumstance, I don't know what it's like really. When its flooding do people really wonder about aeration and lawn care?

picframer
03-26-2010, 06:21 AM
We flood here every year it seem's like. We made national news last year. It was severe. Aeration in soggy and wet grass turns, to mud eventually. Most people here wait till it dries alot of it up then the phone rings. To your circumstance, I don't know what it's like really. When its flooding do people really wonder about aeration and lawn care?

Mike, where are you located?

MikeO
03-26-2010, 07:14 AM
I live in Fargo, North Dakota Andy. Used to be the nation's Hotspot for places to live and work and schooling. I don't know if it still is but, it seems we don't have a problem growing population and new homes and apartment complexes.

vetlawns
03-26-2010, 08:56 AM
This particular customer wants the aeration because he uses his backyard a lot during the spring and summer and wants to make sure he will have grass instead of mud. I will suggest the aerify for the project. I'll let you know how it goes.

Steve
03-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Can something be done drainwise to get the water out of the back yard?

MikeO
03-27-2010, 04:38 AM
Seems like everybody use's Wayne pumps in the backyard to drain the water out. Either having it go out into the street or they have it going out into the alley or diverting it away from the house.

Steve
03-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Should that be the first goal, deal the water issue, before trying to offer aeration?

J-Rod
03-31-2010, 12:52 AM
Does the lawn actually need aeration? It seems like their would not be any surface tension or compaction if the lawn has been underwater.
What type of soil makes up the property? Maybe a good layer of topsoil would help before seeding.

Also take a soil sample, the nutrient level may be off after a flood. You can drop themoff at your local county extension office, they will send them to UGA and email you the results in about a week. Samples are only $6 each well worth knowing what to do to the soil before taking on a seeding or soding job.

vetlawns
04-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the reply J-Rod. I actually did recommend topsoil as we are dealing with that Georgia Red clay in the yard. Customer is considering perhaps adding organic material and limestone to deal with the pH.

Also, with regard to the flooding issue, unfortunately his yard floods because it is on a river bank and when the river over flows, it has nowhere to go but to his and his neighbors backyards.

Working pretty diligently on this job, but everyone's advice is really impressing the client so many thanks to you all.

Steve
04-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Would it be possible to raise the grade a little bit in the back to prevent this?