PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw instead of stick edger?

jessechaveriat
03-22-2010, 08:38 PM
So....I have this problem. I need to outline a garden, to seperate it from the lawn. i do not have a stick edger. there are no underground sprinklers, or wires of any kind. i wouldnt go more than an inch or two deep. has anyone ever done this, or know of a better way to do it other than a shovel?
thanks!

JP Landscaping
03-22-2010, 09:38 PM
you could rent an edger if it's a big project. otherwise a flat spade shovel works great and it doesn't take very long. I would say you can do 2 ft per minute fairly easily if it's only 1-2 inches deep.

jessechaveriat
03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
ya know....renting never even crossed my mind. Thanks!

jklawncare
03-23-2010, 02:06 AM
id rent one..maybe even get a hand edger if your willing to do the work..
a chainsaw will work but your gonna get that blade sharpened..once dirt hits most blades it tears it apart..

picframer
03-23-2010, 04:15 AM
Rent or do it manually, using a chainsaw is an accident looking for a place to happen, trust me I have been running saws for over 30 years and things like this make me cringe as I know what can happen.

Steve
03-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Could you even use some marking paint and then use a shovel?

picframer
03-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Could you even use some marking paint and then use a shovel?

What we do is use Orange heavy string for the design, have the customer agree then go to it, works excellent.

Steve
03-23-2010, 08:18 PM
That is a great idea. That way you can move it around. Nothing is permanent.

picframer
03-24-2010, 04:40 AM
That is a great idea. That way you can move it around. Nothing is permanent.

Yes and by doing this the customer can not say that is not what I had in mind, if there is a change after you agree to where the string was laid out, then it's your nickle to change it.

This is why I like involving customers as I can't read their mind.