PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a 22 - 23cc trimmer

lukus223
03-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Hey Guys,

Looking at buying another trimmer. I wanted something just for edging and light trimming. I saw a Tanaka 22cc that looks awesome! Super lightweight and great feel (handle, trigger, length). Has any used a smaller trimmer for lighter work?

Any feedback is appreciated.

picframer
03-21-2010, 05:34 AM
Hey Guys,

Looking at buying another trimmer. I wanted something just for edging and light trimming. I saw a Tanaka 22cc that looks awesome! Super lightweight and great feel (handle, trigger, length). Has any used a smaller trimmer for lighter work?

IMHO 22CC is on the light side, I think the smallest we have is 27. I don't worry about weight too much, we use the body harness on all the saws, Stihl sells them separate, they are super comfortable and you can run a trimmer, edger, brush saw all day.

We have quite a few units both Stihl and John Deere, the one I personally like for everything except brush cutting as it isn't really big enough is the Stihl Kombi units, you have the option of 9 attachments including a blower, small garden tiller, trimmer, driveway sweeper etc. They work really well and are quite light. The model is KM90R, their #1 use for us is the pruning attachment.

lukus223
03-21-2010, 10:45 AM
IMHO 22CC is on the light side, I think the smallest we have is 27. I don't worry about weight too much, we use the body harness on all the saws, Stihl sells them separate, they are super comfortable and you can run a trimmer, edger, brush saw all day.

We have quite a few units both Stihl and John Deere, the one I personally like for everything except brush cutting as it isn't really big enough is the Stihl Kombi units, you have the option of 9 attachments including a blower, small garden tiller, trimmer, driveway sweeper etc. They work really well and are quite light. The model is KM90R, their #1 use for us is the pruning attachment.

I agree that the 22 seems small, but for only light work I was hoping it would be enough. How is the body harness set up? Most of the work we would do with this trimmer would be at a sharp angle, with the power unit at head height. Do you think the harness would work for that?

Do you really like the Kombi? My Stihl dealer dealer steered me aware from it and recommended a solid units that could take a few attachments (Brush cutter, hedger, edger, etc). That break in the middle seems to fragile to me.

picframer
03-21-2010, 03:41 PM
I agree that the 22 seems small, but for only light work I was hoping it would be enough. How is the body harness set up? Most of the work we would do with this trimmer would be at a sharp angle, with the power unit at head height. Do you think the harness would work for that?

Do you really like the Kombi? My Stihl dealer dealer steered me aware from it and recommended a solid units that could take a few attachments (Brush cutter, hedger, edger, etc). That break in the middle seems to fragile to me.

The harness is ideal at any grade, I personally would not be without one, we have two types but the Stihl is so comfortable it is just amazing.

Kombi is amazing, our units would see 20 to 30 hours a week and they never miss a beat. If the dealer steered you away I suspect he has not used the system, the friggin blow attachment is even amazing.

The brake in the middle is probably stronger than a straight shaft unit due to the way it's built, keep in mid we now have over 200 mowing clients so the gear gets a major workout.

Here is an image of the body harness we use.

justin_time
03-21-2010, 05:50 PM

I have the same unit. I love my KM90R and wouldn't be working without one. I have all the attachments except the sweeper which I can borrow from the local golf course when I need it. I usually use the sweeper to clean off rocks during spring cleanup. Works great. My favorite attachment is the blower. Man does that thing blow grass/leaves far. It's so strong it pushes me back.

jasonw
03-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Hey Guys,

I use a 25CC 4 stroke that I absolutely love. It walks all over the 32CC 2 stroke. It is rather heavy but with the shoulder strap you dont notice it. The only problem is the 2 stroke can be operated upside down for edging and what not. If you flip over the 4 stroke it dies. Dont think its designed for that. They probably did it on purpose so you would have to buy the edger attachment for it. Anyway mine gets 5 stars, especially when it comes to convenience. Starts on the first pull. Clients love it as there is not an oil burning 2 stroke doing 50 million RPM outside there living room window.

stew6371
04-11-2010, 10:16 PM
jasonw, what brand is ur trimmer?

With the km90r, how long does it take to change attatchments?