PDA

View Full Version : How to say "no", in this situation.

CHEESE2009
03-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Alright, so a customers neighbor wants my service.

I don't want these neighbors to hire me, though I just gave them my estimate/card.

They have been with a company last year, & are considering switching.

I told them at the end of our conversation,
"If they are good to you, you do not have to switch"

The man is blind & kind of "not there" & his wife is totally gone.

They are probably in their 90's!

Basically, I had to talk to one of their friends (a younger lady) so she could translate what I'm saying. English to Crazy translator.

The lawn is perfect size, in & out. Though I do NOT want to deal with these people when it comes to pay day.

So if they call, how do I say, "I cannot do work for you" even if I'll be doing their neighbors lawn every week.

This elderly couple gave me shivers to be honest with you. Sure I could take them on & do their lawn, as I said it's in & out. If they don't pay, it's not much of a loss.

Though, I just can't take them.. I realllly don't want to.

ritchiem
03-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Scott...it is all about being a business owner. I think you would be a better business man if you weren't afraid to say no sometimes. I know it is hard to turn down business sometimes, but gut feelings are usually right. If you anticipate problems then stay away and focus your efforts on more profitable jobs.

CHEESE2009
03-19-2010, 09:27 PM
That's what I needed to hear. Hahaha!

Business is business, that's what it all comes down to.

ritchiem
03-19-2010, 09:57 PM
there ya go!

jessechaveriat
03-19-2010, 10:09 PM
you could probably paint their lawn bright red and they wouldnt notice.
Id just tell em i couldnt fit it into the rotation.

ProCut TM
03-20-2010, 12:21 AM
you should not discriminate just bill them up front.

adamsmowing88
03-20-2010, 08:38 AM
I would just simply explain that either your not taking any new clients at the time or you just don't have the time to fit them in and that you have all the work you can handle.

Steve
03-20-2010, 10:08 PM
When you are considering taking them on as a customer, what issues are you forseeing?

Could they possibly be the perfect customer where they would just pay you and never notice any kinds of problems?

It would be interesting to hear why they are wanting to get rid of their previous lawn care contractor. Maybe there is a simple solution and you would have a great new customer?

lukus223
03-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Are they friendly with your current clients? I would feel like I have to take them unless you have a really good excuse. I would give them a try and be quick to walk if it doesn't work out. You never know who they know and what kind of work they could bring you. Some people I thought would be total PITAs have brought me referrals and always pay on time.

adamsmowing88
03-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Are they friendly with your current clients? I would feel like I have to take them unless you have a really good excuse. I would give them a try and be quick to walk if it doesn't work out. You never know who they know and what kind of work they could bring you. Some people I thought would be total PITAs have brought me referrals and always pay on time.

What does PITA mean? I am sure it has something to do with constant complaining customers but what does it stand for?

CHEESE2009
03-21-2010, 02:12 PM
What does PITA mean? I am sure it has something to do with constant complaining customers but what does it stand for?

Pain in the _ss

P.I.T.A

hahaha

Fresh Cut
03-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Scott...it is all about being a business owner. I think you would be a better business man if you weren't afraid to say no sometimes. I know it is hard to turn down business sometimes, but gut feelings are usually right. If you anticipate problems then stay away and focus your efforts on more profitable jobs.

That's what I needed to hear

I needed to hear that too! Thanks Ritchie!

I had a situation this past Saturday where I did a delivery of a fridge for a lady and when we got there and got unloaded she asked, "how much would you charge to cut the yard?"

I said, "Lemme walk around it."
She said, "just the front and sides, not the back"
I walked around the house and told her $45.
She said, "How about $40?"
I said, "No."
She said, "The guy that usually cuts it charges $40. I wanted to see if you could ..... since you're already here."
I said, "You gonna let $5 keep you from......
before I could get it all out she said, "Yep."
I said, "Ok" started toward the house and said, "Lemme get my hand truck."

I told my buddy that's also a lawn care owner and he said I let that money get away from me. I told him, "it wasn't no money to even let get away".

She asked me what I'd charge, then she wants to tell me what she'll pay? :confused::confused:

Fresh Cut
03-22-2010, 11:32 PM
you should not discriminate just bill them up front.

There's the solution!

We have a winner!!!

Marks500
03-28-2010, 11:07 PM
I would atleast give them a try, you gotta help out the elders! Business is business! But for me sometimes helping others is a good thing, not always about the money! I have two yards that are pretty small and next to some of my other accounts, they are old single women. I do them for free, in return I get more jobs from people driving by and they refer me. Helping others always brings good things your way. Don't ever turn down work, do one cut and see how it goes. What's the most you are gonna lose? If you are already at your other account it's just a little bit of time. And like others say up front payment works as well.... Lol

kdvandco
03-29-2010, 12:11 AM
lol heres one I can answer PITA pain in the a$$ lol