PDA

View Full Version : Beginner in the Lawn Care Business

njwsl.l.c@gmail.com
03-18-2010, 08:02 PM
I live in a some what rural community in New Jersey but with lots of money to go around. I have handed out close to 750 fliers, posted ad after ad on craigslist, and put business cards around many business in and around my town. I have received 5 calls and 5 lawns 3 of them family and friends and 2 non with one being in a community of 200 homes with lots from .25 to .33 a acre. I have qouted those at 25 to 35 depending on trimming and edging and removal of clippings. I have come up with a formula for giving out estimates
25- 1/4 of a acre
30- 1/2 a acre
35- 3/4 of a acre
40- 1 acre
45- 1 1/4 acre
50- 1 1/2 acre
55- 1 3/4 acre
60- 2 acres
please let me know if you think this is too low too high

The equiment I have is:
2002 Jeep Liberty
4 x 6 Trailer
2010 Scag SW - Belt-Drive Walk-Behind- 36" 15hp Kohler
Stihl BG 55
Stihl FS 45 Trimmer

Tell me what you think feel free to critize.

jessechaveriat
03-18-2010, 08:39 PM
id make my minimum 35. 50 for an acre, and so forth. depending on how far you have to drive. Good job on getting replies so early. post a copy of your flyer if you have one.

njwsl.l.c@gmail.com
03-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Logo and Company Name Big up top here

Basic Lawn Maintenance for All Seasons

Spring to Summer Maintenance-
Mowing, Weed Whacking, Edging, and Weeding
Removal of Grass Clippings if desired

Fall Clean-Up-
Leaves, Sticks, Tree Limbs
Removal if desired

Grass Seeding

Land & Vegetation Clearing-
With Removal of Debris if desired

Storm Clean-Up-
Cutting, Chipping, and Shredding of Debris with removal if desired

Snow Removal & Salting-
Driveways, Side Walks, Patios, Oil Tank Fill Ups

Here is where my name and phone number are listed on it

I didnt know about Steve and his forum and his youtube videos until after I made up the fliers and he says not to put you logo or company name on top which I did.

I'm thinking about adding to my flier I am a firm believe in giving back to the community I would like to over senior citizens 10% discounts and active or retired military personel the same what do you about this.

Steve
03-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Welcome to our forum!

please let me know if you think this is too low too high

I don't think you can ever be too high if you are getting the job. If you aren't getting the jobs cause of price, then you might need to lower it.

I didnt know about Steve and his forum and his youtube videos until after I made up the fliers and he says not to put you logo or company name on top which I did.

What's your view now on that?

njwsl.l.c@gmail.com
03-19-2010, 09:28 PM
I agree with you completely. It makes sense you need to make people want to read your flier not just see its a lawn care service but something that makes them think to continue on reading.

Thanks again for all the insight into the business.

Steve
03-20-2010, 08:57 PM
I have received 5 calls and 5 lawns 3 of them family and friends and 2 non with one being in a community of 200 homes with lots from .25 to .33 a acre.

That is great! How do you take those properties and use them as a beach head to reach out to other customers in those immediate areas?

njwsl.l.c@gmail.com
03-21-2010, 02:09 AM
Yes completely,
This first year starting out I'm not planning on going in big to make alot of money just enough to cover what I've spent I just decided today that i wasnt gonna order my scag and my utility trailer that I've been planning on getting since I first thought about starting the business, but to invest more wisely and go with a big mower a 48 bobcat classic and a haulmark 5x8 enclosed trailer with it all being the same price as a 36 scag and mesh utility trailer. With the enclosed trailer it will protect my equiment from the weather and no need to worry about come winter where am I gonna store my mower with out having to store it at my grandparents pole barn in PA. With the 48 I can cover those properties faster and the enclosed trailer looks more professional and I plan on putting my logo on both sides real big. The best part is that I went just 5 dollars under what they were charged last season for weekly mowing at all the lawns I got contracts for one of the residentals property is in a neighborhood of 200 some odd houses, I also just picked up my neighbor down the street even though he does his own lawn his craftsman mower is cutting out and I dont need to charge him that much at all for 3/4 of acre since our road leads to that big development its like model lawn to show interesting customers what I will make there lawns look like. But word of mouth is coming around and I had T-shirts and a sweatshirt made up last month and wear them where ever I go.

Steve
03-21-2010, 03:09 PM
That is fantastic! You should get some of those business card holders for your truck or trailer too.

matt45
03-21-2010, 09:36 PM
For me i need to make at least a buck a minute. Thats everything mow, trim and blow. Thats what i need to make money and if i can get more even better.

njwsl.l.c@gmail.com
03-22-2010, 01:19 AM
Where can I get those holders at. I Would like to put on on my trailer. I currently don't have a truck. Hopefully by next summer I'll have the money to buy a used one and fix it up and paint it new as it will be my secondary vehicle.
Thanks again
Steve for all your knowledge and useful help.

Steve
03-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Where can I get those holders at.
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=10951

What are you using now to haul your trailer around?

njwsl.l.c@gmail.com
03-23-2010, 09:44 PM
2002 Jeep Liberty
Had it since new bought it off my dad last year.
Just put a 100000 miles on it last month. With many more left

Steve
03-24-2010, 07:30 PM
That is fantastic! Will you be putting any signs on it to help promote your business further?

Dmmckaskey
03-24-2010, 09:27 PM
For me i need to make at least a buck a minute. Thats everything mow, trim and blow. Thats what i need to make money and if i can get more even better.

that's what I do, after a while you can estimate a yard really quick. Maybe a lil help on other estimates triple your cost and use that as what ill do the job for.
I skimmed over what you wanted to use as a mower... this is something i wish i did when i got mine and that was get a hydro... belts go quick :/