PDA

View Full Version : Need a ladder

CHEESE2009
03-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I do a lot of gutter cleaning, but most people who hired me recently all have roofs I can't get on.

I hate working on a ladder, though I'll use one to get on a roof.

These houses, /\ <- like that.

I have an 8ft ladder & a 30 foot death trap ladder that I will never use again.

What is a good 20ft ladder that has a support end. I never have assistants with me, & don't rely on people to hold the ladder.

Not to mention I put on a lot of weight on this winter, haha!

Anyway, I HATE extension ladders. I don't trust them.

This cools cool.

http://www.lkgoodwin.com/more_info/big_louie_ladders/images/four_different_ladder_types.jpg

jessechaveriat
03-17-2010, 03:01 PM
there are a few on craigslist for around 100 bucks, but i would spend the extra and get a new one. you never know what kind of problems a used 20 foot ladder is going to have.

CHEESE2009
03-17-2010, 03:39 PM
there are a few on craigslist for around 100 bucks, but i would spend the extra and get a new one. you never know what kind of problems a used 20 foot ladder is going to have.

Hahaha! I've had to jump off of a roof twice last season. Friggen ladders don't like to stay still long.

And I don't want a ladder that leans against the gutters.

Hmmm. I'll go check a few stores, I just hate the big price tags on them.

My 30ft ladder cost me an arm & leg, & it's a piece of crap.

I should just wear stilts.. Hahahaha!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/herefordandworcester/content/images/2007/03/15/stilt_man_01_358x450.jpg

Gotalgae
03-17-2010, 03:51 PM
I always use a ladder stabilizer (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100658388&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100658388&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D22X-_-100658388&locStoreNum=6367&marketID=3) when cleaning roofs. It keeps the ladder completely off the gutters of fascia. I also hammer in a crow bar over the first rung and into the ground to prevent it from kicking out. Works like a charm.

Steve
03-17-2010, 06:42 PM
I also hammer in a crow bar over the first rung and into the ground to prevent it from kicking out. Works like a charm.

I'd love to see a picture of how you do that and the size of it.

I wonder if there are other ways to do that. I have see some ladders with broad bases that are very helpful.

CHEESE2009
03-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Well, I suppose I could reveal my super powers & just fly up to the gutters...

But the government will track me down & experiment on me :(

psparaco
03-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I was in the fire service for 4 years and for gutter cleaning i recommend trying to have a spotter to hold the ladder. You can perform what is known as a leg lock while your working on the ladder. Attached is a pic of an example of a leg lock. I could do this all the while being in full turnout gear and a bottle on my back and using various fire equipment and not ever fall. But you always want to make sure u have someone holding the ladder for you. this is a must. if you do not have a spotter. then find a way to anchor the ladder to the ground and building securely so you do not risk injury. hope this helps.

Gotalgae
03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
I'd love to see a picture of how you do that and the size of it.

I wonder if there are other ways to do that. I have see some ladders with broad bases that are very helpful.

Here you go

Steve
03-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Here you go

No kidding! I never even thought of that! Genius!