PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Tex0219
03-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Morning y'all. I just joined this forum as I have read some very interesting topics. I am a leathered old Texan that wqas just laid off after 25+ years with the same company. If y'all do the math, I am probaly one of the oldest people getting into the lawn care business.

Anyway, it's great to be here. Y'all will see a lot of me around here.

Bob

Steve
03-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Hi Bob,

Welcome to our forum.

I wouldn't look at it that way. You are not old at all. As long as you are alive and as long as you are getting into the game you got a chance to really have some good times.

What are some of your big plans to get your business up and going?

Tex0219
03-18-2010, 07:02 AM
I am designing my business cards and flyers. Have contacted realtors in my area to hand out to new home buyers ( got one so far). Yesterday I also thought about contacting some builders to maintain their spec homes. Also contacting new home additions to maintain their model homes. So far I have 2 jobs since Mar 1. Don't want anymoer than 6 cause I am a one man show with a 21" Toro.

Don't want to do commercial yet. Still fighting with over/under pricing jobs. Still in the test mode.

Steve
03-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Great job! I think you are going to really enjoy this experience.

cahoon6770
03-21-2010, 07:44 AM
Hello Bob,
I too am not the young man I used to be but have been wanting to do this for about 5 years now. Finally had the nerve to pull the trigger and work for myself now. I am in Beaumont, Texas, where are you? I hope everything works out for you and business is just the way you like! Shannon

Tex0219
03-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Hey Shannon. I am SW of Ft Worth about 40 miles in the small town of Granbury. Population about 5500. I was just laid off after 25 years. I too always dreamed of running my own lawn care business, so when God closed that door He opened this one and He blessed me with the support of my wife. Being new to the lawn care business and broke (I started with nothing but a 21" Toro, Stihl trimmer and blower), I only have 2 clients. I am now trying to think of the cheapest and most efficient way of marketing my name. How long have you been in business? Any suggestions wil be more than welcome.

Scooby
03-22-2010, 01:32 PM
As far as cheap you can post on Craigslist for free. I though don't expect too much of a response.

tjlawn
03-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Hello All, My name is Tim and I am from Minneapolis Minnesota and new to the forum. I got out of the lawn care business many years ago to pursue some other ventures but now find myself falling back into it out of necessity.

I feel I am out of touch with the state of the industry today. There have been a lot of changes since I left. I am glad to have found this forum, hopefully it will help me re-learn how to build my business successfully. :)

Steve
03-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Welcome to our forum Tim.