PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Rentals

cinc
03-16-2010, 01:58 PM
I normally do snow plowing and let me truck sit during the summer months but this year I am thinking about renting out my truck. i was just trying to get a feel for whether or not people involved in landscaping would be interested in renting a quality truck or not. What do you guys normally do?

Steve
03-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Very interesting. I don't think I have ever heard of this on the forum yet.

At first glance, what would be your plan on this?

What kind of truck is it and how much would you charge to rent it out? And for what period of time would you rent it out for?

picframer
03-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Personally I wouldn't as we have all our gear lettered, we buy all our vehicles, I have leases on two pieces of equipment but I did that to balance a tax situation.

cinc
03-18-2010, 08:52 PM
I would rent it for the landscaping months spring thru fall. I would pick back up my snow plowing in the winter. I have heard people renting F550 for 500/week. I personally think that's crazy. I would rent my F250 3/4 ton for about $700/month. I think that's more than reasonable. Of course the renter would have to undergo an application process and should have insurance to cover the vehicle.

jessechaveriat
03-18-2010, 09:44 PM
the only thing i would worry about is if they rear ended someone in my truck. even if they had insurance, the other people could still come after you. i am always worried about letting other people drive my stuff though.

Steve
03-19-2010, 03:17 PM
One of my big concerns is, they would beat the hell out of it.

Have you considered putting it to use and offering lawn care yourself?

cinc
03-20-2010, 04:29 PM
@Steve, I have thought about using the truck for lawn care but I don't know enough about the business to start it up. i've been doing my research on your site so perhaps next year (wish me luck). Snow is my expertise but I want to use the off months to work for me as well. I'm open for suggestions and to learn. As far as the aspect of beating up the truck. I don't think landscaping would beat it up any more than pushing snow and ice, spreading salt, etc. what do you think

JP Landscaping
03-20-2010, 05:45 PM
as a landscaper, I think 700 a month is too much. I could buy one for that amount. so you would probably have a hard time renting it out. Also, the insurance situation would be a bit tricky. I would think they would charge you a lot more since they don't know exactly who will be using it.

Steve
03-20-2010, 10:22 PM
I would think the vehicle would get beat up by those driving it or using it. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people using a vehicle where they thought they could get away with things, be very destructive to the vehicle. Neutral drops, racing around, hard braking etc.

I have thought about using the truck for lawn care but I don't know enough about the business to start it up.

I bet you could get something started next week, if you wanted too!

cinc
03-21-2010, 12:36 PM
@JB Landscaping, thanks for the insight. you guys are probably right. I should just hold on and wait for winter to roll around again. I was just trying to see what other income I could get for the off seasons. I am researching this landscaping idea. The last thing I want to do is be a low baller or somebody who doesn't do the craft the right way. I know I hate it in the plowing industry. See you guys soon. I hope I live up to the name.