PDA

View Full Version : measuring sq ft with bing.map

cenlaentertainment
03-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Hello All,
Just wondering if there is a function in bing.maps to check for sq ft like google earth. I notice that the pictures are much clearer and defined over google earth.
Thanks
David

Steve
03-15-2010, 03:03 PM
That is a good question. I haven't played with the bing search engine at all yet.

If you figure it out let us know.

calvinslawnservice
03-15-2010, 09:36 PM
I use both to determine yard size. I first use Google earth to find out sq footage. Then I use Bing maps to see if there are any recent changes in the yard. Because Bing has no ruler function like Google earth. I still no matter what, go to the yard and walk it.

picframer
03-16-2010, 05:01 AM
I look at properties with Google to get a rough idea but I personally would not quote until I see something in person and I have never had a client refuse to meet, to me it's the ice braker as it's our day in court to sell ourselves and our company/what we do. I know I am no where near the cheapest going however I can sell and I have a pretty specific target market and area. There are some areas we receive inquiries from that I will not work in for a host of reasons.

Steve
03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Andy,

I think a lot of newer businesses tend to over look that point. Have you ever had situations where you looked up a property on a map and saw one thing but when you got to the property it looked totally different and would have had a very negative effect on the amount of time the job would take?

picframer
03-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Andy,

I think a lot of newer businesses tend to over look that point. Have you ever had situations where you looked up a property on a map and saw one thing but when you got to the property it looked totally different and would have had a very negative effect on the amount of time the job would take?

I would guess the majority of the time as the maps seem to be months or years out of date, I just want a general idea of what it looked like but we can't bid sight unseen.

We are having an amazing week with new clients, I had a new employee with me today, we finished a chipping/excavation job at 3:30, loaded up and started home, we stopped and left our wood chipping card on three doors as we saw brush in the front yards, this is a new subdivision, all three called this evening, I had already made notes on what I would charge and closed all three on the phone this evening.

I have never seen weather like this in March, I already have a friggin tan, usually have to head South for that this time of the year, we worked in T-Shorts this afternoon, just amazing and customers have spring fever big time, I can sense it as there is so much going on.

J-Rod
03-16-2010, 10:14 PM
I use a Bushnell yardage pro to measure most of my properties. Most times I can park on the street and figure sq ft before getting out of the truck. This really makes fast work of calculating size and allows you to focus on the detail involved.
Also if the customer is with you it allows you to make conversation rather than rolling a wheel counter or trying to remember how many steps you have taken.

Steve
03-17-2010, 04:11 PM
We are having an amazing week with new clients, I had a new employee with me today, we finished a chipping/excavation job at 3:30, loaded up and started home, we stopped and left our wood chipping card on three doors as we saw brush in the front yards, this is a new subdivision, all three called this evening, I had already made notes on what I would charge and closed all three on the phone this evening.

It's amazing how this works time and time again. Andy, you never put quotes on your cards do you?

Dendith
03-17-2010, 04:50 PM
I use a Bushnell yardage pro to measure most of my properties. Most times I can park on the street and figure sq ft before getting out of the truck. This really makes fast work of calculating size and allows you to focus on the detail involved.

Could you link the product that you use. I'm interested in checking it out.
Thanks!

J-Rod
03-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Dendith

The laser I use is a bushnell yardage pro 1500. Bushnell is well known for their hunting optics. I have had the laser for about four years and have never had any problems from it. I have also heard good things about Nikon lasers. If you do not play golf you do not need to spend the extra money on the 1500 ,the standard yardage pro will do fine, I think it will pick up targets up to 600 yards away.

Bushnell.com

Also check out cabelas.com I saw a "bushnell sport 600" for under $200.