PDA

View Full Version : Propane mowers

jklawncare
03-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Would you recomend these?

i figured id ask on here than just doing a google search

maybe some of you have some experience on one...

any info is greatly appreciated thanks :D

JK Lawn Care

SuperiorPower
03-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Hey,

I think they are probably a great idea. I think there may be some down sides as well but that is simply from the outside looking in.

Pros:
-Run cleaner if you are worried about "green" machines,
-Some customers may require "green equipment" giving you a lead on the bids,
-There is a possibility that, depending obviously on the respective fuels, that the propane mower will likely be less expensive to operate

Cons:
-Fuel storage is harder to deal with (I would think)
-Fuel Availability
-Machine will likely be more expensive up front,
-Machine may cost some more to have serviced (check on this with the dealer before buying)

I have no direct experience servicing the propane engines as far as if they cause less wear or more wear. I would think there could well be a difference since there is likely a difference in lubricity between gasoline and propane. But this is simply a guess. It may actually be pretty neutral since Gasoline can, in some cases, actually "wash" oil off cylinder walls causing excessive wear and oil burning. This would obviously cause early death. However, this is typically more of a problem if the air filter is dirty (http://lawnmowerforum.superiorpowerequip.com/index.php/topic,161.0.html), the choke is left partially on, or something else causes the engine to get too much fuel (like an improperly adjusted carburetor).

My concern with propane would be that the fuel is DRY with what I would suspect is zero lubricity. However, they are used by many industries in vehicles. Keep in mind the machine will likely be more expensive up front, and possibly more expensive to have serviced. The servicing will definitely need to be done by a certified small engine technician (all work needs to be done by a properly trained technician).

There are numerous threads on here talking about propane equipment. Here is a link to the search I conducted:

http://www.gopherforum.com/search.php?searchid=257952

XtreemGreen
03-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Propane can cost over $5 a gallon depending on how much you use..The more you use in a shorter period of time, the cheaper...yes I work around propane...

SuperiorPower
03-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Propane can cost over $5 a gallon depending on how much you use..The more you use in a shorter period of time, the cheaper...yes I work around propane...

I am just curious, from your experience, would you recommend propane machines?

Do you think that it is more economical to run than gasoline (without factoring in initial expense of the machine, etc)?

And finally, do you think that it is more economical to run than gasoline (with factoring in initial expense of the machine, etc)?

jklawncare
03-15-2010, 02:45 AM
Thanks you guys

and you have a good point on who would be able too service it..
i live in a fairly rural area so i dont think there will be anyone around here..however it wont hurt to check

SuperiorPower
03-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Were you looking into buying new or used? If you were looking into buying new from a SERVICING DEALER, then you should be good to go. However, if you were looking into buying from say Home Depot (Home Cheapo), Walmart (Wal-not-smart), Lowes (Loathes), or similar "box stores" you are in for trouble.

A Servicing Dealer will most likely have someone on staff that knows how to properly service these engines and has probably been to the appropriate service schools. Box stores won't. As far as the box stores are concerned, once you buy it, its your puppy. They may tell you otherwise but, in truth, that is the case.

Another note of caution is that if you buy a used mower, make sure it is not an after market kit that was installed. They may work but I have been told they are not as efficient as the factory kits because the engines are not specifically designed for that set up. You would be able to see if the kit is original equipment or aftermarket.

Now on that note, I have considered buying a kit to install on a machine just to see how it works. One problem I for see is mounting a tank on the mower. It think this could be a problem since the mowers are not designed for that.