PDA

View Full Version : customer liabilities

JR-
03-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I have business insurance but say if i get hurt, i have a possible client ask me that wants me to do service for them but i can't afford workers' comp with my uphead through. I was curious is it possible to write up a contract for me being at my own risk and they wouldn't be reliable? i'm working alone no employee's for now.

Steve
03-12-2010, 04:18 PM
If it is just you, I don't believe you need workman's comp.

I guess this can vary depending on your location, but I thought workman's comp was only for employees and you aren't an employee if you own the business.

FloridaBoy
03-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Steve, you are correct. If you are on your own, no need for workmans comp.

If client has an issue, you can always file a form to become workmans comp exempt. This just frees up any responsibility to the client.

Its about $50 if i am not mistaken.

picframer
03-13-2010, 03:15 AM
Steve, you are correct. If you are on your own, no need for workmans comp.

If client has an issue, you can always file a form to become workmans comp exempt. This just frees up any responsibility to the client.

Its about $50 if i am not mistaken.

Same laws here, you can have one employee with the owner and no workers comp, if it's a commercial job and they need a certificate, I believe the exemption certificate is $50. to $75.

On the release side, it would be best to ask a lawyer as laws are so different from area to area, I doubt it would stand up in court if something were to happen and asking a client to sign something like this will send a red flag.

JR-
03-17-2010, 01:37 AM
ahh okay thanks alot guys

Big Jim
03-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Here where I am at you go pay $ 50.00 for your workers comp. waiver card. The card is good for 2 years. You can present this card to your clients to relieve any fears they have.

JR-
03-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Here where I am at you go pay $ 50.00 for your workers comp. waiver card. The card is good for 2 years. You can present this card to your clients to relieve any fears they have.

You purchase this at your insurance agency?

Big Jim
03-19-2010, 11:58 PM
No. You go to the workman's comp office in your state and fill out a form and pay your $ 50.00. Most states have a website so you can download the form.
I hope this helps.

JR-
03-21-2010, 12:51 AM
ahh okay thanks