PDA

View Full Version : Adding pressure washing

FloridaBoy
03-11-2010, 11:35 PM
I know, I know, i hate it when pressure cleaning businesses want to get into lawncare.

Stick with your line of work, while we do ours, haha.
But i have had a increase in requests for this service, not alot, but enough to start thinking about a unit specificly for this.

I do have on contract once a year commercial job, consisting of cleaning a wall, inside and out, about a mile long, have done this with simple residential equipment, and 3 110 gallon tanks, generator, etc, etc.
It takes mmyself and one employee 3 days to complete, i don't care about time because its winter and i am slow. Let me rephrase that, the shorter the better on time, more money of course, but not an issue.

Added several moble homes to the work load this winter, quick jobs, 30 to 45 min. , going rate for area is between $55, and $75 for the moble homes.

Need advise on where to go from here, i personaly cannot justify a $6000 to $9000 dollar rig for roughly a $1200 to $1600 profit per year, i will push the marketing of this service when i get more equipment.

Keep in mind the work i explained earlier has all been accomplished with low end residential equipment for about 5 years.
So, do i go one step up, its own unit- high end residential, low commercial grade equipment.
Or all the way, Belt drive pump, hot water, 2 gun unit, 400 gallon tank, tandem trailor

After all that, your oppinion would be what? let me know.

ProCut TM
03-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Let me know what you want I can get you a great price on a pro pressure washer. I used to supply engines to a manufacturer in Broward county

picframer
03-12-2010, 04:19 AM
The rate you mention for mobile homes, what does that include? Is that a say 20 X 60 mobile home, wash all the siding for $55.00? If so man that is cheap, up here I am getting between $175.00 to $250.00 plus $65 ++ for the deck depending on the size.

I think the companies getting into lawn care and doing the service for cost or less are making us all take a look at what other services we can offer, as I have mentioned in the past I had to very quickly identify customer wants outside of lawn mowing or I would be dead in the water today, we did and it worked, pressure washing is one of those services.

As for equipment, I like buying things once and operating machinery that will do the job and it has to be reliable, we are running John Deere pressure washers, they have a 389cc B & S engine, 6 tips depending on what we are doing and 3,800 PSI, this allows us to even remove paint from decking if the client wants. We do use clients water and of the 80+ jobs we did last year there was only one I backed off from, she was on a dug well and water supply was an issue. These units run around $900.00, they also have a residential professional grade for half that amount.

It's an excellent service to offer and when the temps are such that you feel like you are going to die mowing, pressure washing is a lot easier to do.

FloridaBoy
03-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Picframer, things are way cheaper down here in Florida, at least in my area. I have read posts on what northern companies charge for cutting, washing etc.
Can't get that kind of money here, competition is outrages, but that does force us, or me to rely on great quality work, friendly attitude, to get and retain business.

I think getting a high end residential, low proffesional washer is the way i will go, build a rig by individual pieces, i have a 270 gallon and 100 gallon water tanks, 125 ft of non marking pressure hose. Generator, water pump.
Pick up a decent used 6' x 8' trailer, washer, couple hose reels, and surface cleaner, have profesional looking rig, only out about $1500 to $2000 max.

Procut- I may holler at you if we can't get a meeting together this month. Thanks

Steve
03-12-2010, 05:15 PM
i have a 270 gallon and 100 gallon water tanks
How important is it to have a water tank vs. using the customer's water?

FloridaBoy
03-12-2010, 05:49 PM
On all residential work i do use the clients water.

But, i think it was my first post, not sure. but i mentioned the one big job i have is a wall in front of HOA, about a mile long. it has to be cleaned inside and out. One homeowner has a well next to the wall and volunteers it, allowing me to fill up tanks.

If i do expand into other commercial areas, having a tank or tanks is valuable in the sale of the job.

Gotalgae
03-12-2010, 06:20 PM
How important is it to have a water tank vs. using the customer's water?

Having a tank will get you more jobs where water just isn't available. Although at any residential job I run my pw from the tank but run fill hoses from the owners water supply to keep the tank topped up.
If people complain I remind them that water on my area (Central Fl) averages about $4 to $10.00 per 1000 gallons. I can normally clean a 3000 sqft house pool deck/screen + average size driveway using less than 300 gallons and except for the concrete at less than 1000 psi!
Florida prices are very low... lots of low ballers w/out pw specific insurance or any insurance for that matter. I try to sell on my quality/zero damage guarantee.

Steve
03-13-2010, 01:37 PM
I try to sell on my quality/zero damage guarantee.

What is your zero damage guarantee? I am guessing if you accidentally damage something, you will fix it? Or how does that work.

It sounds like a great way to sell the service.

MikeO
03-13-2010, 08:38 PM
what kind of soap or detergent are you guys using? Anything better or worse then others that you have tried? Anything you have tried but just didnt work like you expected?