PDA

View Full Version : New here and will need help.

Big Jim
03-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Hello everyone ! I know nothing about running a professional lawn care business. I will be starting soon. I was on of the unfortunate ones that lost my job last fall due to current economic times. I want to do something for myself. I already have a truck, line trimmer, 2 riding mowers, 3 push mowers, and a 16ft. Flatbed trailer. None of my equipment is commercial grade. I do have rakes and shovels. I have no resources to buy commercial equipment. Do you think I can start with my current gear till I can pay for equipment with cash as I go ? I will have many questions and will take any help I can get. Thanks

picframer
03-11-2010, 04:56 AM
Welcome to the forum, I think it's critical to keep costs down when you start if one does not have disposable income, grow then add to what you have. First thing I would do is make up a letter informing everyone you know of your new venture, asking for business or referrals, include everything you will be offering.

Search the forums here, pretty much everything you need to know has been talked about at one time or another.

Big Jim
03-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks. There is a lot of information here. I just want to do this right. I see so many fly by night people here that come in and undercut everyone and then you don't see them for very long. I want to be very professional and give lawn care a good name and not something negative. So many non professionals out there that it may be an uphill battle to build a good reputation and prove myself.

Steve
03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Welcome to our forum!

All you can do and all anyone can do is start with what you got and build a better tomorrow with it.

Plenty of people here have started their lawn care business with consumer equipment at first.

Just remember that it usually lasts about 1/10th the time of commercial equipment. So that mower might get you 200 hours of use?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
03-11-2010, 11:58 AM
2 riding mowers, 3 push mowers

Has anyone tried replacing the consummer grade motor with a commercial grade one when the motor craps out. Given there is more that goes into a mower than just the motor but has anyone thought or tried this? Maybe I should make a post for this question?

Big Jim
03-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks Steve

Steve
03-12-2010, 03:23 AM
Has anyone tried replacing the consummer grade motor with a commercial grade one when the motor craps out. Given there is more that goes into a mower than just the motor but has anyone thought or tried this? Maybe I should make a post for this question?

I am sure you could do it but the thing is, the entire consumer mower tends to fall apart quickly. The decks are stamped out of crap metal that tend to rust fast.

Some commercial push mowers decks are made out of aluminum and will last forever.