PDA

View Full Version : Putting Green Installation

pboy8634
03-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Over my spring break I'm thinking about installing a putting green in my backyard. I'm looking for some tips on what to do and the process some of yall would take.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
03-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Need sand and lots of it. The right grass and mower. and if you want to make a sand trap I found out they use batting from ur blanket/craft store or the stuff thats in the evap coolers if you know what im talkn about that keeps the sand on the walls of ur trap i guess. you can get the hole kits on line google it and see what fits your need the most. Everything else is really up to you.... how big, slopes. You call also make a chipping area maybe 10-20 or so ft away.

Steve
03-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Will you be offering this service to your customers in the future if you like the results?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
03-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I dnot know about him but I will. With the quest for "different" landscapes and for a more mancured look I would like to install it and up keep it. Some need 2x a week trimmings to be able to keep it that short. But I dont have the money to invest in such a venture just yet but maybe one day I will...... One day......

barnes13
03-11-2010, 01:50 PM
I am a superintendent of a golf course in illinois. I would think twice about building a green in my yard. I have seen it done, and everytime, it eventually turns to a weed patch. Also like the previous post said, you have to think about a mower and chemicals to prevent weeds and diseases. If you are for sure this is what you want to do, then get a 60/30 mix of sand and organic matter. Grade this out over your existing soil at least 4 inches deep. Get some bentgrass seed, walk it over your soil 2 directions and then run over the entire green with something with knobby tires like a 3 wheeler. This is the best way to get good seed to soil contact, prevents seed wash out, and works great. Then water two to three times a day. Should see germination in 2 weeks. Do not mow until it is about 3/4 of an inch tall. This is the cheapest way to build a green and I built 3 like this last year as driving range targets on our course.

pboy8634
03-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Yeah, if the results turn out well I'll probably offer this later on in the future.

Steve
03-12-2010, 03:37 AM
Could such a putting green be made with artificial turf and still look and play well? Or is that not worth it?

pboy8634
03-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Yeah my dad actually asked me if I was wanting to do artificial grass. But I'd rather have real grass, I like a challenge, and it'll defiantly keep me busy during the spring and summer.

But I'm just wondering if a manual push reel mower would be okay?

Steve
03-12-2010, 04:03 PM
I am a superintendent of a golf course in illinois. I would think twice about building a green in my yard. I have seen it done, and everytime, it eventually turns to a weed patch.

Why is this the case? and what can be done about that?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
03-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Could such a putting green be made with artificial turf and still look and play well? Or is that not worth it?

There is a huge market for the artifical stuff here in AZ but I personally dont think it plays the same but to each his own its just practice green anyways.

Greens, dog runs and even just the yard are made out of the artificial stuff under the zeroscapes that some tr y to make. Funny thing is some people have sprinklers on them to cool them off at night cause its just like concrete it will hold the heat with makes it useless I think. Nothing beats a nice green yard to play and relax around...

barnes13
03-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Steve,
Owners always say they are going to take care of it, but it always ends up going down hill. It doesn't get mowed at least 3 times a week like it should and they never spray to prevent diseases or weeds. I have never tried a manual push mower, but I would say that it wouldn't work very well. When mowing a green at .130", mower setup is very critical and being of .001" will show. I'm not sure I have ever seen a manual push mower be this accurate, but I don't know which one you are looking at. I would recommend the artificial turf like Steve said because it is alot of time,work, and money to upkeep a green.