PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone

Jack Rabbit
03-09-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm new to the forum and mostly new to lawn care.

I've worked for about six months for someone else in lawn care. Due to unemployment, very few jobs here, and that I liked the lawn care job I'm trying to start my own business. Mostly I'm looking to pay my bills and make a living but it will be great if I can do better.

Southern New Mexico, where I am, is a desert. Summer is quite hot with restricted watering. Some yards have rocks or dirt but plenty have Bermuda grass.

I like hiking in the desert and nearby mountains.

Steve
03-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Welcome to our forum! It's nice to have you here!

What kinds of things are you planning on doing to attract customers this Spring?

Jack Rabbit
03-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Hi Steve,

I'm doing this on less than a shoestring budget so I plan to do the cheapest things that I think might have some effect. That's for now since I'm in more of a survival situation than a become more prosperous one. I don't need much to afford food and pay the bills.

The first thing I'll do to attract customers is read info. about publicity in GopherForum!

Immediate publicity plans:

Get word of mouth publicity by asking everyone I know to spread the word.
Get magnetic signs for my truck.
Leave flyers/brochures at strategic places. Mostly businesses where I know the manager or owner and their customers might be interested.
Make a website with details and refer to it on other publicity.

After I make a little money or get a regular job too:

Small yard signs where customers will allow them.
Use my Google Adwords account (Originally for another business that's on hold now).
Maybe try a newspaper ad.

Door hangers and going door to door are illegal here.

I'm looking to get the work I can do myself. Residential yards to start. I probably won't try to expand to have employees.

Steve
03-11-2010, 01:46 AM
That is fantastic!

Were you able to pick up on some marketing ideas from your previous employer too? What kinds of things did they do to attract customers?

Jack Rabbit
03-11-2010, 11:54 AM
He's been in business forever and has enough reputation and steady long term customers to keep him going. So he doesn't have any publicity or do anything to attract customers.

Steve
03-12-2010, 04:16 AM
Isn't that fascinating how it all works?

Once you get yourself networked into the community, people will just know to call you.

What do you feel you learned most from your previous employer?

What do you feel they did well and where do you feel they were lacking?

Jack Rabbit
03-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah. Long term customers and word of mouth from them is all he needs now.

I learned that treating your customers right is important. Of course we should do that because it is right but it is good business too. Be honest, do good work, and be friendly and you'll get long term customers.

They did well in customer service and quality of work. Now this is from me with six months experience talking about a guy with decades of experience ... things not done well: Bad attitude toward employees. Not using the right tools. Small saws when big ones would be better. Hand tools when power would be better. Etc.

Steve
03-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Bad attitude toward employees.

From your experience, how would you treat your employees differently in the future?