PDA

View Full Version : Season has started

picframer
03-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Last week I had a call from the community newspaper where most of our work is asking when we wanted to start our advertisement again, this was before I was hit with this super bug, agreed on today, newspaper comes out every two weeks.

The ground is still frozen however the majority of the snow is gone so we highlighted wood/brush cutting and chipping, listed a few other services and the website.

Four inquiries this evening alone however we have 9 jobs to get finished from last year before we take on new ones but it's great to be able to get out and back to work, I have 6 guys starting Friday, I am starting to feel human again so we should be good to go.

Tried the new excavator in my back yard this afternoon as I want to build a path to the back of the property to clear downfall myself, I was shocked at how deep the frost still is, a good 10" so it will be another couple of weeks before we get the gear that really makes the bucks out there.

B-2 Lawncare
03-09-2010, 07:24 PM
It going to be at least a month and a half before i can even think about shifting from snow removal to spring maintenance. And it's killing me it sunny and nice but there is still a chance of snow until May here.

Steve
03-10-2010, 11:07 AM
How does ground frost effect excavations?

picframer
03-10-2010, 12:55 PM
How does ground frost effect excavations?

Almost as hard as trying to dig through a massive piece of solid rock, my biggest one has around 16,000 pounds of down force and it will barely brake through, it shocked me the ground was still frozen as we had 5 inches of rain last weekend.

Anyhow home early as I am having issues with a new Bearcat wood chipper, I used to be a Bearcat fan but have had issues with the last three products I bought, this one is over $22,000 and when it arrived it would not work as the hydraulic pump was defective, in this case we can't blame it on being built overseas as it's built in the USA, I wouldn't be surprised if the dealership drops them. I had one down for 7 weeks last year, they gave me a demo unit, it lasted 1 1/2 days, not a very happy camper.

lawncrafter56
03-10-2010, 05:10 PM
http://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/Leading-Edge-Unveils-New-Single-Pointed-Ripper-Bucket/7557/
get busy:eek:

lawncrafter56
03-10-2010, 05:34 PM
frost is hard on diggers but so are these.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/8554024.stm

picframer
03-10-2010, 06:27 PM
http://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/Leading-Edge-Unveils-New-Single-Pointed-Ripper-Bucket/7557/
get busy:eek:

Thanks, I am going to send the an email and see if they make one for my units, these would be amazing at root systems.

As for the Frost, I will just wait as it simply makes a mess, if I wanted to I can get below it but man the mess one makes.....we have a lot of wood cutting and chipping jobs, just bugs me this friggin brand of chipper has been headache after headache.

Steve
03-11-2010, 12:51 AM
That is very interesting!

How do you feel with Spring rolling around, did you get enough time to do the things you wanted during the winter like your wood work?

picframer
03-11-2010, 01:37 AM
That is very interesting!

How do you feel with Spring rolling around, did you get enough time to do the things you wanted during the winter like your wood work?

I have a much better inventory going into the very busy summer season than I did last year, probably twice as many products which is great, the new website for woodworking is 70% finished so that is great also. I can think of a long list of things I wanted to get finished but all in all it was a good winter.

We will start out probably four days a week as I still have projects to get finished and the guys working for me now are new to this, my staff from last year isn't available until the second week of April, it's just good to be working outside again, while I love being in the shop, cool tunes on and watching the snow come down with the wood pellet stove going, I am a big outdoors type and working inside gets to me.

Hindsight is always 20/20, I suppose I could have dug this chipper out last weekend but when one pays that kind of money for gear that has only been used for a couple of hours to test, it never once crossed my mind, I did try out the chain and brush saws, everything started fine, had all the trailers licensed and inspected, put new tires on the tandem trailers as they were about 75% worn out, tires do not seem to last long on these trailers, I think a combination of the weight and turning takes a toll on them, everything that needed an oil change was done, greased and or oiled so we were good to go. At least I have one crew going:)

Well I am off to pick my son up from University and drop him of at the airport for a 5:30 am flight, have to get going and it's going to be a very long day, one of those days I wished I was working from home so I could have an afternoon nap with my dog:)

Have a good one!

Steve
03-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I can already tell this is going to be an amazing year for you.

picframer
03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I can already tell this is going to be an amazing year for you.

Thanks, six inquiries today which is amazing considering it's still March. The new chipper is fixed and on a job site, thank goodness as the laws here state if I ask an employee to work, I have to pay them for four hours min even if they don't work, so I had the machine on site by 11:00, anyhow two bad relays from the factory and thank goodness the dealership was able to find ones in the city to get it going, small speed bumb.

What we need is a couple days of warmer rain to get the frost out of the ground, then we will be back in almost full force:)

Steve
03-12-2010, 03:29 AM
as the laws here state if I ask an employee to work, I have to pay them for four hours min even if they don't work

OMG !!!

I never heard that before! That must drive employers crazy!

picframer
03-12-2010, 03:35 AM
OMG !!!

I never heard that before! That must drive employers crazy!

It can get expensive, let's say I work for you and all we do is lawn mowing and you give me my hours for the week, let's say I am scheduled to work 8 am to 5 pm on Monday of next week, you call me Sunday night and say Andy, due to thunder storms tomorrow, we will not be able to work, by the labor law you have to pay me for at least 4 hours on Monday. So what we do is if it's raining I will give you a pressure washing or lawn spraying job, if I do not want to work in the rain then you do not have to pay me.

I swear that although the government pounds their chest on the economic action plans and how they are in it for small business, it's crap. Last year let's say you were unemployeed and wanted to work for me as a loader operator with no experience, the government would help me with 30% of your salary for 12 weeks, I thought that was excellent, you learned a new skill and I was saving a few dollars training you, they stopped this in January.

lawncrafter56
03-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Hope to see your woodworking web site andy

turfmaster
03-13-2010, 02:26 AM
I swear that although the government pounds their chest on the economic action plans and how they are in it for small business, it's crap.

Yea I don't think big government is a small businesses best friend. Our government under the lefties in power now is starting to bust out at the seams. :eek:

picframer
03-13-2010, 03:02 AM
Hope to see your woodworking web site andy

It isn't finished, I ran out of time and the weather turned for the better, at the moment I am a little overwhelmed by inquiries for wood chipping, tree cutting and excavation, I am not sure if this is a sign the economy is picking up or not, last year we had trouble keeping up but we never had near this many people contacting us to do work this early in the season, while I have the equipment staffing is an issue as my University staff isn't available until the third week of April.....always a challenge:)

Here is my site www.picframer.ca