PDA

View Full Version : Stand ons

matt45
03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I use a stand on 54" cut with a 23 hp and i simply love it.
the only thing I dont like is it dont hold a hill.

mark123
03-10-2010, 10:58 AM
What sort of stand on is it?

... the only thing I dont like is it dont hold a hill.
Considering that the center of gravity is lower on the standers than on a riding mower that must be one steep hill. Normally the standers will stick where riders won't.

matt45
03-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Its a gravely .

Steve
03-12-2010, 04:34 AM
What made you decide to go with that mower?

jklawncare
03-15-2010, 03:59 AM
Have you tried different tires or lowering your tire pressure?
theres a recent forum on it if you wanna read up..

jklawncare
03-15-2010, 04:04 AM
Heres the link to the thread

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=11268

SuperiorPower
03-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Another thing to keep in mind if that if you are going along side a hill, sheer gravity will pull the front of the mower downhill due to the front having casters and the natural affect of gravity.

I have heard some people who love standers, others who hate them. I think it probably has a lot to do with the type of terrain you are mowing.

Keep in mind that if you reduce the pressure in your tires, only reduce it slightly. The more you run them with reduced tire pressure, the more they will wear prematurely. If you reduce the pressure too much, you will get to a point as well where there will be less traction because the center of the tread will no longer be touching the turf. I personally would prefer to go to another tire pattern.

matt45
03-21-2010, 02:28 PM
there is really no room for bigger tires because of the break and fenders.

dmcclendon
03-03-2013, 09:31 PM
I would have thought that the Gravely would do ok on hills because it does in fact set lower that the ExMark or Toro...there platforms are kind of high. BUT they do have a super comfortable ride! I think it is more of a weight issue. Our Scags and ExMark walk behinds are waaaay better on hills. We use are stand on for flat mostly residential. As for riders and hills I have only seen one that holds hills well and it was a 4x4 commercial rider. I wouldn't go near a hill on a rider and only trie a couple of times on a stander. I'll stick with my Exmark walk behind for hills!

stevef1201
03-04-2013, 07:17 AM
I do several lawns in a subdivision. The subdivision has three big ponds with very high very steep slopes, the company that does the common areas has 8 guys out mowing each week, they use wam zero turns on the big ares but on the slopes they use walk behinds. The walk behinds cut just as fast as the zts and a lot safer

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-04-2013, 09:43 AM
I prefer my stand on over both my riders and walk behind. The walk behind is only used on certain hills. Other then that it collects dust.

Its the best mower for tight areas. I can back up against a object and Ill touch it before the mower does. I cant say the same about that large engine and bumper on the riders.

dpld
03-04-2013, 11:33 AM
on the slopes they use walk behinds. The walk behinds cut just as fast as the zts and a lot safer

i hear you there and areas to mow like that are the sole reason why i still keep a couple walk behinds around.

if any machine is gonna have to take a tumble down the hill i would rather it be one of my walk behinds then one of my ZTR's.
cheaper to fix and replace.