PDA

View Full Version : Hello

matt45
03-09-2010, 05:37 PM
My name is Matt
I have cut grass for over 25 years.Up until 3 threes ago i did for somebody else. My real job was running out so i cashed in my 401K and started working for myself
I also do snow removal in the winter.
I love what i do.
The first year was the hardest building a customer base.I pretty much new how to bid from working with the other lawn companies.
I now have 3 times the base i had the first year.
This is what I know people want reliability, good work at a fair price.

Steve
03-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi Matt,

Welcome to our forum!

Great story! Do you feel you were able to apply a lot of the skills you learned from your previous employer to your new business? What skills do you feel stood out that really gave you a better chance at success?

Also, what kinds of things did you do to attract your customers early on. It seems like getting started is always the toughest part, how did you push forwards and find those customers that first year?

matt45
03-11-2010, 04:31 PM
The first thing that stands out is that i love what i do.
I learned if you do good job people will have you back.
They will tell there friends and neighbors .
I ran ads in 3 local newspapers which was free mailers reaching 60000 homes.
I still run those ads and still building my base.

Steve
03-12-2010, 03:35 AM
Matt,

Have you experimented with other forms of marketing or do you stick mostly with newspaper ads?

matt45
03-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Steve,
I tried the flyers and the road side signs. I got one customer from that. The paper adds seem to work best for me. I'm open for new ideas.

Steve
03-21-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm open for new ideas.

It seems that members on here find the most success from networking with people they know or through friends of friends.

What kinds of things are you doing to harness your social network?

matt45
03-21-2010, 09:27 PM
unfortunately my social network in made up of family.
My oldest brother also has a lawn care company,
My sister also has a lawn care company,
My 4th oldest brother has a lawn care company.
I don't talk to my oldest brother but I learned a lot. I can talk to my sister about lawn care and have even sent customers her way that was closer to her. on the other hand some of her customer have come my way.
Now the other brother lives out of state so no talk there.
My wife's family helps me out. I get both residential and commercial from her side.

Steve
03-22-2010, 03:36 PM
That is pretty amazing, there is a wealth of knowledge there! WOW even if one of them gave you a few insights, you would be all set.