PDA

View Full Version : Social groups, ratings, and reputations

SuperiorPower
03-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Have any of you guys noticed the social groups on Gopherforum? I found them a while back and have done a bit of playing around with them. I am not sure that they really serve any purpose but I thought they were interesting. To look for these social groups, click on "quick links" and go down to "Social groups".

Something else I have noticed is we are not getting much in the way of getting threads rated. I think that would be a great tool for us all to know what is a good topic if we are pressed for time as I am sure more and more of us are feeling that crunch. To rate go to the top of the thread (not the top of the page, just top of the thread) and click on "rate thread". You will see how it works..

Another thing is rating the reputation of members. This can help us determine who knows what they are talking about. Of all the forums I am a member of, I think this is about the only one where it is not actively used. To rate a members reputation, go to the top of the post in question and click the silver looking "scales" symbol. When you click on it, a small window opens that simply gives you the chance to "approve" or "disapprove" of the members statement and then a small place to leave a short comment.

Any thoughts guys and gals?

Steve
03-10-2010, 11:52 AM
I haven't played around at all with the social groups part of this forum yet.

The thread rating is good to use because it helps you see at a glance which threads really stand out and there are a bunch that do.

SuperiorPower
03-10-2010, 09:02 PM
The thread rating is good to use because it helps you see at a glance which threads really stand out and there are a bunch that do.

I completely agree. I think this could help a lot. There has been a few times I thought, That thread doesn't look like an interesting topic. Then after people kept posting in it I decided to look in and found a great topic that really helped me or that was interesting....