PDA

View Full Version : New here and new to lawn service

johnandlisam
03-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Howdy everyone
Startin a lawn service down in Texas and came across this site. Thanks to all of ya'll for the great info you share, its really going to help me. I hope I can find my way around a lawn a little better than I can a forum or I am in deep trouble.
Thanks again
johnandlisam

Steve
03-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Welcome to our forum!

What got you interested in started your lawn care business?

johnandlisam
03-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Spent last 7 years in a factory where you didn't know if the sun was shining or if it was raining until you went to go home. Knew I had to get away and do something and after study were to go and what to do, I new a lawn service was it.

Steve
03-09-2010, 12:31 PM
That is great! What kinds of things are you doing now to get the word out about your business?

johnandlisam
03-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Right now its just word of mouth and being seen, I just got insurance and I think I have nailed a cemetary contract. I am fixin to have a door to dooor flyer campaign and get my business cards on every bullentien board I can find.

Steve
03-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Good for you! Keep us posted on how it all goes and what you think of that cemetery job.

johnandlisam
03-10-2010, 08:12 PM
The cemetary seems a little overwhelming and I am doing it a little cheap, but it give me steady income. I also just nailed the local post office today, so at least I have 2 jobs that will keep me busy.. Once again thanks for the site, I have been staying up and reading the forums and it has really educated me. Its great to be able to reference so much experiance in one place..

Steve
03-11-2010, 01:53 AM
There have been many members who try and bid cemeteries. Most have a hard time estimating them properly.

Looking back now on the estimation process, what do you feel you would have done differently?

Do you have any advice for others looking to bid on cemeteries?

johnandlisam
03-12-2010, 01:11 AM
I should have looked a little more in detail at the entire place and not assumed that all the allies were the same size. I knew it was large and I studied how long it would take but didn't consider my mower may not fit in all allies just because it would fit on one end. Measure ,measure ,measure and study detail. This will add more trimmer time.

Steve
03-12-2010, 04:56 AM
How long did you initially think the job would take and how much time did it ultimately take after you did it the first time?

johnandlisam
03-14-2010, 07:07 AM
It took several extra hours, I blew it..What is your view on talking to people who have people that have been mowing for them. Do you think it is stepping on toes or that people respond positively. I know sseveral that have the local good old boy lowballing on yards and I don't know if I should try to speak with them or just let it go.
Also if they are lowballing how do I convince them my service is worth paying more,,

Steve
03-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Not everyone will switch but there will be some that want better quality service or reliable service that many newer start ups simply can't provide.

I think the best thing is to keep your feelers out there and keep letting people know you are in business.

johnandlisam
03-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Alright
I am in business, started all this in a rural area, lots of small towns about 10 miles apart.
I thought I might be crazy, but I am working and even had a large ranch call today to bid the 4 residents on it and then they had me mow 1 before I left.Thanks to all the info on this site he told me I was within 10 dollars of the crew that did it last year.. Just had to tell somebody... Thanks Gopherhaul...:D

Steve
03-23-2010, 09:26 PM
You are very welcome. Keep us posted as you go!

I am sure you are going to learn a lot of things other newer members could benefit from as well as you will probably have a lot more questions too!

Keep up the great work!