PDA

View Full Version : weed control sprayer

markhines
03-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Hey Guys! Are you as sick of winter as I am? LOL! I'm considering starting a part time lawn care business, I'd like to start out with maybe a dozen mid size homes, offering basic services such as mowing, trimming, edging,fertilization, weed conrol, mulching, cleanups, etc. I have the basic equipment: truck, 21" mower, stihl trimmer, blower, and hedge shears and hand tools. My questions is in regards to weed contol. Yes I have my commercial applicators license! A permaagreen applicator is out of the question! (over $7,000), should I just use a backpack spayer? ($125) or has anyone seen the new earthway s25 spaypro? ($399 from amazon.com) its a push ground driven tank sprayer with a spray width of 5 feet. any thoughts?

Thanks!!

MountainViewGreenskeeper
03-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Im gunna build mine when i get around tuit. But for now I have the back pack sprayer. So Im nt much help.

markhines
03-07-2010, 05:47 PM
thanks Ill probably just use the backpack sprayer to start, then upgrade to that earthway sprayer later if i grow.

I've also wondered about offering organic lawn care, but i dont know how effective the organic weed control is. the only product ive seen is the corn gluten product.

ProCut TM
03-07-2010, 08:54 PM
a back pack works fine for weed control though the $125 ones seem like a waste. I have a $40 one from harbor freight that has been working great, and I just picked up a stanley pro one from sam's club for $44 both units are 4 gallon but I've found keeping the harbor freight one at 3gal or under make the cheap straps not dig into your shoulder as much.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
03-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Ill have to echo what ProCut just said I found a cheap one on ebay for like 35 free shipping included vinager and salt makes a great broad leak killer fyi

mharbert
03-08-2010, 09:00 AM
vinager and salt makes a great broad leaf killer fyi

What's the ratio on that? Where can we find more organic information like this?

I've been thinking about using Gluten-8, but I read the Iowa State University report and it sounds like it doesn't last that long (5-6) weeks of protection). I'm wondering if its a good idea to follow up a second time around 4 weeks later? Anyone care to share their method of applying this product?

Corn gluten meal works by inhibiting the root formation of germinating plants. It generally does not inhibit the roots of mature plants or transplants until your reach very high rates (80 pounds/1000 ft2 or higher). It should be applied before germination of the weeds. The weed will germinate and usually forms a shoot, but does not form a root. After germination, a short drying period is needed to kill the plants that have germinated but have not formed a root. Timing is critical. If it is too wet during germination, the plants will recover and form a root. (This is also true of chemical preemergence herbicides).

It is preemergence only, there is no postemergence effect on established weeds. In fact, it makes a great fertilizer for germinated weeds.

If it does not rain in 5 days of application, water it in with approximately .25 inches of water. Then leave a drying period after germination.

It will usually work for about 5 to 6 weeks following germination

Lowes is where I picked up my backpack sprayer.. I love the pump handle.. I my get the $250 tow behind trailer for larger properties from CTS www.tractorsupply.com (http://www.tractorsupply.com) .. Deere also sells a model for more..

TnT Outdoor ervices
03-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Go look on craigslist and find a 200gal space saver with motor and pump. I just bought a set up with 250gal 4.5hp honda motor, (2) 300ft reel hose, and spray gun for $300. These things sell new for $3500. Look around. Don't buy the cheap o's. This set up works great if you would do more lawns later.

XtreemGreen
03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
I used a SoLo backpack sprayer for years untill the lid litterally fell apart from being out in the sun everyday...But it never gave me ay problems..

MountainViewGreenskeeper
03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
[COLOR="Blue"]What's the ratio on that? Where can we find more organic information like this?

http://lawncaresimplified.typepad.com/lawn_care_simplified_safe/2008/05/weed-control-re.html

he says 1gal vinigar 1 cup salt boil till salt disolves plus 8 drops of soap.

Ive also heard of diluting that mixture with 1 gal water works fine to me but wasnt strong enough to kill the grass like the previous one will

lot of good enfo on there plus natures lawn has organic fertilizer and a bioweedkiller they just came out with. its not on their site.

http://www.natureslawn.com/index.html