PDA

View Full Version : a root is in the way

GreenGo's
03-07-2010, 10:34 AM
I am building a tree ring on a 7ft diameter tree and can't figure out how to fill in the gaps made by the root system above ground. Help?

picframer
03-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I am building a tree ring on a 7ft diameter tree and can't figure out how to fill in the gaps made by the root system above ground. Help?

Not sure I understand you correctly but if I do, inside the ring place mulch, outside the ring build the area up with top soil then seed or sod.

Steve
03-07-2010, 01:17 PM
I'd love to see a picture of what you are talking about.

cklandscapingorlando
03-07-2010, 05:26 PM
If alot of roots then do as picframer suggest. If one or two then a pony shovel will do the trick. I've also cut the plastic edging in half to give me room

ritchiem
03-07-2010, 05:54 PM
First of all...that is a massive tree to put a ring around. Will you be planting in this ring or just mulch it?

Are you going to have a soil edge or material?

Are these roots already above ground or just below the soil? If they are above ground you can feature them as part of your planting.

If you are going to mulch make sure to not put more than an inch or so as mulch holds a lot of moisture and heat and can damage root systems, thus inviting insects and disease.

GreenGo's
03-08-2010, 07:23 AM
thank you all this is the result i built up over the roots with my base i still need to sod.

Steve
03-08-2010, 01:13 PM
That looks fantastic!