PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Care Footwear

StartALawnCareBusiness
03-06-2010, 12:11 PM
I think proper footwear is highly overlooked by many new lawn care business owners. I see so many people wearing ratty tennis shoes or skimpy "hiking" boots that offer very little protection.

I've worn LawnGrips workboots since 2008 and I just got a new pair of their steel-toe lawn shoes. They are a great alternative if you don't need a full work boot.

I just received them yesterday and I have a "first impression" review online:

http://startalawncarebusiness.com/blog/2010/03/lawn-grips-work-shoe-for-the-lawn-care-industry/

What shoes do you wear? I would like to hear opinions on other shoe companies that are designing good shoes for the lawn care industry.

Keith

XtreemGreen
03-06-2010, 12:29 PM
I have combat style boots I got from walmart.. There not steel toe, but there completely waterproof, very light ,comfortable and great traction..

justin_time
03-06-2010, 12:41 PM
I think proper footwear is highly overlooked by many new lawn care business owners. I see so many people wearing ratty tennis shoes or skimpy "hiking" boots that offer very little protection.

I've worn LawnGrips workboots since 2008 and I just got a new pair of their steel-toe lawn shoes. They are a great alternative if you don't need a full work boot.

I just received them yesterday and I have a "first impression" review online:

http://startalawncarebusiness.com/blog/2010/03/lawn-grips-work-shoe-for-the-lawn-care-industry/

What shoes do you wear? I would like to hear opinions on other shoe companies that are designing good shoes for the lawn care industry.

Keith

Are these the same or similar to the Stihl ones, my dealer now carries the Stihl ones. I have tried them out very quickly just like that. I would love to have a pair.

picframer
03-06-2010, 02:55 PM
We all wear Stihl, John Deere or Mark's Work Warehouse boots, it's the law they be steel toe and CSA approved, first fine is $1,200 to the owner and $500.00 to the employee and they have to leave the site. And trust me the enforcement people are around, I would guess each crew is checked twice a month, they will not make any exceptions or let you off if you claim you didn't know.

Gotalgae
03-06-2010, 03:18 PM
We all wear Stihl, John Deere or Mark's Work Warehouse boots, it's the law they be steel toe and CSA approved, first fine is $1,200 to the owner and $500.00 to the employee and they have to leave the site. And trust me the enforcement people are around, I would guess each crew is checked twice a month, they will not make any exceptions or let you off if you claim you didn't know.

Dang, they got nothing better to do huh? I wear the same combat style boots from Wal-Mart too.

justin_time
03-06-2010, 03:47 PM
And trust me the enforcement people are around, I would guess each crew is checked twice a month, they will not make any exceptions or let you off if you claim you didn't know.

Not as enforced here as much, maybe because i'm solo and i'm from a small area. I have never seen an inspector

psparaco
03-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Orginally when i started last year i wore tennis shoes and after a week thought what would happen if something sliced thru these things. the next week and ever since i wear bigmack waterproof oil resistant authentic workwear steel toe boots. i even wear these boots everyday whether i am mowing or not. I have gotten so used to them. they became my everday footwear. the only time i don't wear them is when i go mountain biking cause they won't fit in the pedal straps lol.

lklandscaping
03-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Wrangler work boots. They are comfortable, and inexpenxive. I have heard great things about Lawn Grips, the main con is the price.

http://www.lawngrips.com/products_subcategory.aspx?SubcategoryID=1

SuperiorPower
03-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Geez! those are expensive!! I think I would rather be going with a first responder type boot like 5.11, Magnum, Bates, or something like that. They are comfy and are typically available with good tread and steel toes.

Good boots are VERY important when you are going to be on your feet all day long. They can make an otherwise bad day a much better day or an otherwise good day into a horrible day. Trust me, I know.

lukus223
03-07-2010, 03:50 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day. Usually for just mowing I have worn running shoes. I changed that up to some Montrail (by Columbia) hiking boots. They have a very think rubber toe, the only problem is they are heavy and very hot. Do you know the actual weight on these lawn Grips? The price isn't too high for a quality boot.

CHEESE2009
03-07-2010, 04:15 PM
I drive like an Italian if I where boots.

:P

I did pick up a pair of good shoes though, steel toe whatever.

Steve
03-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Holy crap I just checked out the prices on those shoes, $165 for the lawn grips!

I never wore them but I do wonder if they are too nichey and that is why the price is so high.

What's the most you ever paid for boots?

I don't want to spend more than $50-75. I don't care if they have titanium tips with glow in the dark soles. LOL I won't pay more than a certain amount.

picframer
03-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Holy crap I just checked out the prices on those shoes, $165 for the lawn grips!

I never wore them but I do wonder if they are too nichey and that is why the price is so high.

What's the most you ever paid for boots?

I don't want to spend more than $50-75. I don't care if they have titanium tips with glow in the dark soles. LOL I won't pay more than a certain amount.

$135.00 to $160.00, I honestly don't think you could even find work boots around here for $75.00. I bought a pair of steel toe rubber boots last week as I plan to start chipping this week and it's pretty wet, they were $105.00