PDA

View Full Version : Don't Forget Why

CHEESE2009
03-05-2010, 09:41 PM
I thought I had my priorities all figured out, but I soon realized I had them completely backwards.

Stability is something I have always wanted, it is what I needed most. I created :mad:Breeze:mad: so I could take care of myself & support a family for many years to come. On my journey to achieving this stability, I have completely forgotten the reason I was after it. I put 100% of my effort into Breeze & gave up on everything else without knowing it. I gave up on everything that made me want stability in the first place, & at the cost of my present time happiness. I can shout out how much I hate Breeze, & how it was able to consume me & in a way “trick” me into losing touch with what I already had.

It’s kind of like putting your life on pause, just because you know the future will be better. When the future finally comes around, you’ll be just as unhappy thinking of how you lived your past & be wondering “what could have been”.

So if you are married, imagine pulling in extra hours at work so you could have a big vacation with your wife the following year. It sounds fantastic, & it makes sense.

Though instead of pulling in those extra hours at work, you actually have the chance to spend that time with your wife - they are just as important, or even more important than a better life in the future, that big vacation. Remember why you are doing what you do, & if you have to take away from the reason you live your life, find an alternative, a balance.

I knew what I wanted, but I forgot why I wanted it.

I hope the example above helps everyone with their priorities.

Never say your friends or loved ones are holding you back from achieving a successful future, you need them more than you can ever imagine. Without them, your future is only worth a glass of whiskey, & even if that glass is half empty - you still have to pay the tab.

SuperiorPower
03-06-2010, 03:33 AM
That is a very true story Scott. You know, this reminds me of a story I heard some time ago. I can't repeat it as well as it was told to me but I will attempt it anyway. So here goes my attempt....

A big New York business man went on vacation in Mexico. While lying on the beach he noted that several days in a row this same Mexican walked to the beach, got in his boat, went out and fished for a while and returned with enough fish to feed his family and a few extra to sell at the market to buy other things his family might need.

After watching this for a few days he hollered at the guy and the Mexican came over to the business man. He told him what he had observed and said he believes the Mexican was capable of doing better than that. The business man explained that if given the chance he could show the Mexican how to build a business by fishing all day, hiring employees as needed, buying more boats and hiring more employees until he had built a big conglomorate. The business man continued with saying that he could then show the Mexican how to sell his company in shares to shareholders.

The Mexican asked the business man why he (the Mexican) would want to do that. The Business man replied that after the business sold he would then be able to stay home and spend time with his family.

The Mexican replied, "I do that already"..........

**************************************-
But on a lighter note, lets not be like Bubbles (the guy in the back seat in this video) who forgot why they were at the store.....<object height="340" width="560">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mZbygmWKpP8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="340" width="560"></object>

Steve
03-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Very interesting point!

How do you think you will do things differently this year now?

CHEESE2009
03-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Very interesting point!

How do you think you will do things differently this year now?

It's strange & kinda funny. I can base my business around what I want to be paid hourly, but I couldn't base my business around my actual life.

Business, is now at the bottom of my list of priorities. I just feel awful knowing I'm not the only person who will experience this.

It's as if the world is always in a rush. Many college students give up half their life to study & receive 6+ figures later on, & I do understand it might be different for each person, & that we will always need people working in certain fields. Maybe they are even happy, or really don't have anything to lose.

I kinda appreciate doctors more.

I remember dating a girl several years back who was studying to become a doctor. Her studies interfered with everything. Though she surrounded herself with other people who will be striving for that same paycheck, which is probably the best thing to do.

Just imagine finally getting out of school when you are 30 years old, you finally find a place that accepts you & you begin working. Now is when you say, "I want friends, I want a husband/Wife, I want children" your life will probably be amazing. Who really knows for sure? I'm just not risky enough to take that chance & give up a part of my life.

It really depends on the person, but I know I wouldn't be happy remembering all those times I've been invited out & refused, been too busy for a relationship, etc.

And maybe this person did manage a relationship, & has gone out to have fun? Everyone is different, but no one is ever wrong.

I can hardly explain myself, but I'm sure you guys understand.

I have a friend who wants to breakup with her boyfriend.
I thought this girl was crazy & ignorant, but now I understand.

Her boyfriend works 2-3 jobs, & he's always tired.

So I wonder, why is he working 2-3 jobs? So he can give his girlfriend the world right?

The problem with that is, he's already able to do that but he just doesn't even know it yet.

Why not live in an apartment 10 years longer before buying a house, slow life down. Live for what you have now instead of sacrificing everything because you believe it will be worth it in the end. All it is - is chance.

We all seem to forget what we really need. More money sounds comforting, but it's one bumpy ride & you might lose a few passengers.

EXAMPLE # 10000

You know how we rely on holidays to send out gifts, appreciation letters? That's what's causing these problems, everything is scheduled. I know we like it this way, because sending out gifts all the time can really eat into your wallet. But the fact is, we get lazy until a certain date on the calendar tells us what to do.

Instead of taking the woman out & being spontaneous, we'll wait for our anniversary. That's basically telling yourself & your woman that you only have one amazing day per year.

Do the same thing as you would during your anniversary, on any date that isn't a holiday. You are now living life.

That's just my opinion.

Some things cannot be avoided, & I wish everyone the best of luck.

I want to die a fat old man without a worry in the world.

CHEESE2009
03-06-2010, 01:14 PM
But on a lighter note, lets not be like Bubbles (the guy in the back seat in this video) who forgot why they were at the store.....

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!

That's the funniest thing I've seen all week! :D

Steve
03-07-2010, 12:44 PM
I have a friend who wants to breakup with her boyfriend.
I thought this girl was crazy & ignorant, but now I understand.

Her boyfriend works 2-3 jobs, & he's always tired.

So I wonder, why is he working 2-3 jobs? So he can give his girlfriend the world right?

A little while back I had a friend who was in a very similar situation where he worked all the time to buy this big house for his wife and 3 kids and she ended up divorcing him because he wasn't spending enough time with her.

:eek:

CHEESE2009
03-07-2010, 01:28 PM
A little while back I had a friend who was in a very similar situation where he worked all the time to buy this big house for his wife and 3 kids and she ended up divorcing him because he wasn't spending enough time with her.

:eek:

Isn't it sad? Life can be a miserable place. I feel very sorry for your friend, what a disaster.

It's not like he was in the wrong, but neither was she. Though if I look at it in depth, she could have made the effort to make things work through communication & planning. The easy way out was her choice, selfish. Way to damn selfish.

The worst part is, nothing can guarantee commitment. Not time, a ring, or even kids. It's a real bad way to view the world we live in, though you can't help it due to the fact no one wants to get hurt. It's nearly impossible to be optimistic knowing the above.

Love is a trap, & you can't have it unless you are completely vulnerable to the person you are with. Pain is inevitable. :(

I honestly wish I could be as brain damaged as this guy;

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LH5ay10RTGY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LH5ay10RTGY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

CHEESE2009
03-07-2010, 03:47 PM
I am so happy right now.

I went for a bike ride, trying to get in shape before the season begins.

I took a break & sat at the park for a bit & just saw 3 kids playing, & having a discussion about girls.

Boy: I'm not afraid to ask a hot girl out, everyone else is like, "I can't do that, I'm too shy" but I can, I'm not scared...

... & when the girl says, "NO!" I just say, "OK!"

Hahahahaha!!!!

Forget the idea of a wife, just have a kid!

LOL

And if I suck at being a father, I'll just give them to Picframer! :p:D

Steve
09-24-2013, 06:30 PM
I wanted to bring up this discussion again because it touches on why we start businesses. How big we decide to go and the pros and cons to spending too much time focused on business.

LawnBoy0311
09-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Its crazy to see little Scotty grow up! :D

I actually keep a magnet on my frig to remind me of the past. It's my first magnet made for advertising.

Steve
09-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Scott has really done well and it's good to see. A lot of other members have matured in the business world over a handful of years on here too and it's good to see that too.

It's great going back into older posts to see change and growth.

LawnBoy0311
09-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Scott has really done well and it's good to see. A lot of other members have matured in the business world over a handful of years on here too and it's good to see that too.

It's great going back into older posts to see change and growth.

Funny you mentioned that. I was reading some real old threads yesterday and it was interesting to read about some guys on here. Its a shame to see all the old users gone.

Is there any way you could send a mass email to any old members saying something like "we haven't heard from you in a while and are curious how you are doing". It would be good to hear from a lot of them whether they satyed in the business or left.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
09-25-2013, 02:52 PM
I thought I had my priorities all figured out, but I soon realized I had them completely backwards.

Stability is something I have always wanted, it is what I needed most. I created :mad:Breeze:mad: so I could take care of myself & support a family for many years to come. On my journey to achieving this stability, I have completely forgotten the reason I was after it. I put 100% of my effort into Breeze & gave up on everything else without knowing it. I gave up on everything that made me want stability in the first place, & at the cost of my present time happiness. I can shout out how much I hate Breeze, & how it was able to consume me & in a way “trick” me into losing touch with what I already had.

It’s kind of like putting your life on pause, just because you know the future will be better. When the future finally comes around, you’ll be just as unhappy thinking of how you lived your past & be wondering “what could have been”.

So if you are married, imagine pulling in extra hours at work so you could have a big vacation with your wife the following year. It sounds fantastic, & it makes sense.

Though instead of pulling in those extra hours at work, you actually have the chance to spend that time with your wife - they are just as important, or even more important than a better life in the future, that big vacation. Remember why you are doing what you do, & if you have to take away from the reason you live your life, find an alternative, a balance.

I knew what I wanted, but I forgot why I wanted it.

I hope the example above helps everyone with their priorities.

Never say your friends or loved ones are holding you back from achieving a successful future, you need them more than you can ever imagine. Without them, your future is only worth a glass of whiskey, & even if that glass is half empty - you still have to pay the tab.

I realized this a little while ago. I got so caught up in what I was doing that I forgot about why I was running the business even worse I forgot my goals.

That is what brought my decision to finish this season out strong sell all the equipment and get a racing set up . It is time to think about what I want to do. And that is set my own hours and have fun. I feel to many members are in the you must work all the time aspect that's not why we want to be a business owner ask your self this "when you started your business did you plan to work dusk to dawn"

Steve
09-26-2013, 02:00 PM
I forgot about why I was running the business even worse I forgot my goals.

Reflecting on this for a moment, what do you feel your goals were with your business?

Ducke
11-04-2013, 11:48 AM
I have no problem with this as I have no life anyways.:D
When I started my company I was working 10 to 12 hour 6 days a week and I had no social life at all. but I was not happy. I know work 60 to 80 + hour a week and I still have no social life but I have never felt so happy at what I do.
As for losing my way I have had that feeling especially this season were I took on more customers Hired a helper to do theses customers and after only 6 Weeks I had to firer the helper and I was so upset over the whole ordeal that I did the rest of this season on my own. Doing the work of two is not easy especially at 53. But I made it a little beat up and in need of a long rest. But several times this past season I sat in the office late at night wondering why in the hell an I doing this??????
I need to get done with 2013 and regroup and start planning for 2014 I need to find staff early so I can have a better group to choose from I also need to understand how to hire the right person something I have never had to do.
Money is great success is great but having a life and a time to just forget the day to day of the business is a must and in time it will come but these first 5 years are sooooo important to the furure of the company I just need to keep plugging along and keep my goals in sight.

Steve
11-04-2013, 05:06 PM
after only 6 Weeks I had to firer the helper and I was so upset over the whole ordeal that I did the rest of this season on my own.

Why did you have to fire him and what was it about that experience that got you so upset?

Ducke
11-07-2013, 08:20 PM
To make a long story short He was costing more then he was making me,
Run over shrubs , run over solar lighting stepped in flowerbeds. etc etc. I tried I worked with him I almost held his hand but the guy was just not lawn care person. What messed me up is I was second guessing my ability to hire to read people and not wanting to have to go through it all again. It hurt my confidence I guess.
So I am going to do more research on hiring practices and start earlier so I have more time to pick and choose. There's a whole new learning curve that is mostly trial and error unless you have taken business courses at collage or where ever.

Steve
11-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Well good for you for keeping at it.

What messed me up is I was second guessing my ability to hire to read people

Were there any warning signs that popped up during this employee's hiring process that you decided to disregard that you won't in the future?