PDA

View Full Version : How young would you hire?

Steve
06-27-2006, 01:12 PM
How young of an employee would you hire?

Respect the power of the lawn mower (http://www.sltrib.com/ci_3981808) - Utah has no law that regulates the private use of lawn mowers. But children should be at least 12 years old before they operate one, and at least 16 years old for a riding mower, advises the American Academy of Pediatrics and other medical groups.
Businesses are required to use employees age 14 and older to mow lawns.
Dana Adler, owner of Adler's Professional Yard and Landscape, said he prefers to hire more mature 17- or 18-year-olds. His employees have had no mower injuries in his seven years in business.

kc2006
06-30-2006, 08:34 PM
I was 15 when my former boss hired me. When I was 16 I was going out and leading a crew a couple days aweek and when I was 17 I ran 2 crews and watched over maintenance. Basicly he'd give me the route lists at the beginning of the day, I knew what had to be done before we all went out, told the guys what to do, set up their routes and sent the one crew on its way and I went with the other.

I would probably hire in the 17 year old range, thats when kids realize they need money, they can make good money in the lawn industry and (from what I was like) have a desire to work to get more money. Of coure not all are like that, but if you find that type then your good to go.

tiedeman
06-30-2006, 09:49 PM
18 was for me. Kid just graduated high school, and wanted some money before going into college

07-06-2006, 06:20 AM
I would not hire anyone under 18. Afew years back Wal Maert got jammed on this when young kids were putting mowers and chainsaws together. Also I would check with your insurance carrier. Good luck

UnitedEnvironment.com
07-06-2006, 07:20 AM
my fathers a landscaper, so i was working from the age of 6. My first time behind a mower was at the age of 12

B7 Enterprise
02-03-2009, 03:52 PM
I hired a 15 year old once to mow, he was the laziest person I had ever hired. After i let him go his step-dad called me saying I owned him more money and if I didn't pay he would call the labor board on me.

That was the last time I hired a kid.

Steve
02-03-2009, 05:00 PM
I hired a 15 year old once to mow, he was the laziest person I had ever hired.

Was this for your home or was this as an employee for your business?

B7 Enterprise
02-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Was this for your home or was this as an employee for your business?

This was when I was in lawn care, I hired my neice and she talked me into hiring her boyfriend.

bad idea.

jimlewis
02-11-2009, 03:22 AM
I don't think I'd hire anyone under 18. If for no other reason than THEY SHOULD BE IN SCHOOL!

Our maintenance crews work year round. We don't just mow in the 3 months of school break. I can't even figure how it would even work to have a student working for us. It couldn't work.