PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy these Red Max trimmers?

SoILLawn
03-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Should I buy these 3 trimmers? I was really only needing 1 or 2 of them at the most. I already use 2 Shindaiwa commercial trimmers. The 1 Shindaiwa I use has an edging attachment. The Shindaiwa's are very powerful. Are the Red Max trimmers the same?

Thanks, Mike

I was thinking try to talk him down to $50 per each trimmer.

This is the lising on Clist:
I have for sale 3 RedMax String Trimmers. All of these are commercial grade equipment and have been used in our business over the past several years. Some of them are up to 4 or 5 years old and others are only 1 year old. All of the equipment has been fired and running in the last week. It will all need some maintenance or parts though before operating all the time. I do not know what it will take to get them all running properly as we have purchased all new between last year and over the winter. At the very least, these item would be excellent for parts as the entire trimmer is priced less than what a single part would cost you at the dealer. Please assist me in getting these items out of the way - our season is about to get started and they need to go! All equipment priced at $75.00 per peice.

I also have a RedMax stick edger that I will get rid of as well. The stick edger runs as we used it all of last year. I have not fired it since we put the equipment up for the winter, but am certain that it was running when we closed out the year last year. Price of the stick edger is $125.00 firm.

picframer
03-05-2010, 08:41 PM
My personal opinion it really depends on how big he was, we buy the very best Stihl makes and like anything we own other than trailers, I do not plan to keep anything more than three years so these products could be close to their life's end.

cklandscapingorlando
03-06-2010, 06:51 AM
I agree with picframer. On a diffrent note, I love redmax. Hard to find here anymore but would be my perfered brand and I've run bought every comercial brand out there

SuperiorPower
03-06-2010, 12:14 PM
I agree with Andy. You never know how many hours they have on them. Typically appearance MAY be an indication however, that is not always the truth. If you have someone who really took care of their equipment you may not be able to tell about the usage. This is more than just whether or not it was used a lot but also how it was maintained. The machines could be almost new as far as usage but be "beat up" to being worth little more than scrap.

As a brand, they are a great trimmer. I would highly recommend "RedMax" trimmers.

I suppose you need to determine whether these trimmers have life left in them or not. Another things to make sure you have a reasonable answer to is, why is the current owner selling his equipment?

Now on the value, if I understand correctly, he is asking $75 per trimmer? That is about the price of a tune up. BUT!!! If he has not had it tuned up yet you may still have to do that. So you may end up with another $50-$75 per trimmer in tune ups. And if there are additional problems (like trimmer heads that are worn out, etc) you will have that additional expense.

With you already posting the question here, I know you are not jumping on it quickly so continue to make sure you know what you are getting into.

Good luck,
Eli

StartALawnCareBusiness
03-06-2010, 12:26 PM
If you really only need one weedeater, buck up and buy a brand new commercial unit. An ill-running weedeater will cost you WAY more in time and aggravation than it will cost you to buy new.

IMHO:

redmaxtoroman
01-06-2011, 06:27 PM
I have been running Redmax trimmers, blowers, gas powered hedge clippers and chain saws for years. Old Redmax trimmers were and still are the best in the business. They can take abuse and misuse that "employees" put them through. They require very little maintance and up keep, the most important is a few pumps from the grease gun in the gear box every week or so depending on your use of the trimmer. New Redmax trimmers are "strato charged". When I asked my local shop why Redmax started making everything strato charged they told me something about emissions and meeting certain standards and how it was better fuel effiency etc. Let me define starto charge for you, unreliable, breaks down often, not nearly the trimmer that "old school" Redmax are. Granted the new strato charged trimmers have a couple of perks over the older models. Actually only two positive changes being that long tall grass doesnt bind up around the cutting head nearly as easy, and a beefed up spark plug boot prevents your arm from getting lite up as often as with the older models. But in my opinion they do not out weigh the straight up brute power and dependability of the old Redmax trimmers. Strato charged trimmers you have to goose the gas and let warm up, old school you can run wide open right from the fist pull of the cord. I search my local pawn shops and ad bulltins for old Redmax trimmers. The parts to repair them are still easy to obtain and kept on hand at my local shop. Hands down I would buy any commerical Redmax trimmer that is NOT strato charged and is of the old school variety. Prior to finding Redmax I used to run Shindawas and Stihl brand trimmers. Both brands are decent, but neither hold a candel to the old style Redmax. Hopefully this helps you in your choice to buy them or not.