PDA

View Full Version : Putting Fliers in Newspaper Box Laws?

Recyellow
03-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I recently put out about 500 fliers in newspaper boxes at peoples houses, and today, the newspaper company called me and said that it is illegal to do this and I cant do it anymore. Do you guys know anything about this?

picframer
03-04-2010, 10:38 AM
I recently put out about 500 fliers in newspaper boxes at peoples houses, and today, the newspaper company called me and said that it is illegal to do this and I cant do it anymore. Do you guys know anything about this?

Whwrw I live the newspaper(s) have a small round box at the end of the customers driveway, they maintain ownership so one could not use it without their permission.

Steve
03-04-2010, 01:46 PM
I can't see that as being illegal though.

They may not like that you are doing it. They may want you to stop. But how can it be violating a law? I highly doubt there is a law that says you can't put a flyer in the newspaper box.

Maybe they could take you to court over it, but I highly doubt they would because ultimately, what are the damages? What did you hurt? How did they lose money because of this?

Whats your view on it?

How will this effect what you do?

Steve
03-04-2010, 03:09 PM
I stand corrected on this.

Being that I have no legal training what so ever and responses are based on a gut reaction, I am normally wrong LOL

So I got a legal opinion on it and wanted to pass on what I learned.

It is illegal if they own the box and it is trespassing.

Who would have thunk!

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trespass_to_chattels

ProCut TM
03-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Don't be lazy walk up to the door and knock, you will get more jobs this way too. If they are not home then you leave the flyer on the door knob with a rubber band. Go the extra mile to show them why they should hire you and not the ten other guys flyering the neighborhood.

picframer
03-04-2010, 04:17 PM
How did they lose money because of this?

Whats your view on it?

Newspapers make their money from advertising or at least the vast majority of their income, you are using their delivery method at no cost to you and no income to them to deliver advertising, trust me they will and can nail you, they own the newspaper boxes, if you stop subscribing to their paper then they remove it.

Steve
07-22-2010, 03:56 PM
This topic had again popped up recently so I wanted to bring this to everyone's attention again.

The Cleaning Doctor
07-22-2010, 09:42 PM
I would say if the box has the newspaper's name on it then leave it alone. Here however there are many subdivisions that have a NP slot in the mailbox that the home owner purchased. Or a brick mailbox with a clay pipe for the NP drop. These I would say would be ok.

jasonw
08-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Although I must agree you can not touch newspaper boxes I would like to point out that Wikipedia is the worst place in the world to base a legal decision on. That is unless you want to trust an overweight middle aged alcoholics interpretation of the law.

jasonw
08-01-2010, 03:27 PM
I would say if the box has the newspaper's name on it then leave it alone. Here however there are many subdivisions that have a NP slot in the mailbox that the home owner purchased. Or a brick mailbox with a clay pipe for the NP drop. These I would say would be ok.

I cant site the actual law at this time but I did once before on this same topic. I am fairly sure it said it is NOT legal to put anything in or on a mail box or post containing a mail box meaning even one the homeowners purchases or builds.

LawnMoore
08-01-2010, 07:03 PM
My neibor and i both have custom mail boxes, they are not the NEWSPAPER boxes! personally i dont care if mail is put in there, flyers run through the p.o. they get paid to DELIVER!

However:

I am almost sure that you cannot put something in the newspaper box, like around here we have The Sun etc paper company, they install there own open ended mailboxes that are yellow and have their name on it!

I put flyers and such bus. cards in mailboxes all the time! I handed out 1000 of them about 3-4 months ago! I have never had a problem, never have i been called by the mail company, P.O., Cops anything, but again, i put the flyers etc in the box that is bought from home depot etc..

I dont see any reason why anyone except the home owner could say dont give me MAIL!! thats what its there for.. Maybe the law is to protect your check if its mailed? like the p.o. service is the only authorized entity to open a box? lol i dont know its such an iffy subject!

Who should we ask about this debate?

Thomas T
08-01-2010, 08:09 PM
In FLorida it is a felony to mess with a mailbox if your not the owner or carrier. The way they look at it here is the mailbox really belongs to the federal goverment and the owner. If it was me, I would walk to the door before I touch a mailbox.

robgee05
08-01-2010, 08:21 PM
The USPS usually don't find out, unless someone who is really board or sick of being a mail person decides to call because they're life sucks and they wished they had a business. But it is illegal, I wouldn't do it. I think ive said before I keep business cards with rubber bands on them to hang on doors or mailbox flags. Ive talked to postal workers, they say it is kind of a loophole. But they feds will do whatever they want, when it comes down to it.

LawnMoore
08-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Yea true that, i guess just because i didnt get a call about it, doesnt justify it, i surely do more door to door now, i was just infiltrating a certain county a few months ago, i guess im done with bootleg mail delivery services!

Can always write the address down and spend a little more time or get a software to print labels. Pay etc..

jasonw
08-02-2010, 05:52 AM
My neibor and i both have custom mail boxes, they are not the NEWSPAPER boxes! personally i dont care if mail is put in there, flyers run through the p.o. they get paid to DELIVER!

However:

I am almost sure that you cannot put something in the newspaper box, like around here we have The Sun etc paper company, they install there own open ended mailboxes that are yellow and have their name on it!

I put flyers and such bus. cards in mailboxes all the time! I handed out 1000 of them about 3-4 months ago! I have never had a problem, never have i been called by the mail company, P.O., Cops anything, but again, i put the flyers etc in the box that is bought from home depot etc..

I dont see any reason why anyone except the home owner could say dont give me MAIL!! thats what its there for.. Maybe the law is to protect your check if its mailed? like the p.o. service is the only authorized entity to open a box? lol i dont know its such an iffy subject!

Who should we ask about this debate?

The law is not to protect your check. Its to protect Obamas. I dont agree with it but a law is a law and sence the USPS is a federal entity that makes it a federal law an a federal offense if you get caught. I for one would hate to explain to bubba that I am in the pen for putting lawn care fliers in mail boxes. I know you may laugh at that but it can happen. As soon as you through caution to the wind when it comes to a federal offense you are no better off then being a POW, they will do with you what they want.