PDA

View Full Version : Much excitment from this industry

JR-
03-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Hello all !

My name is johnny

Steve, I love the site you have going on here and very impress of how you run it.

Well like most others on this site i'm running a lawn care business. This year is my first year becoming legit and expanding my business which last year was my first year and was just testing the waters. Many year's, I've been working for an pretty large landscaping company from high school with having a few customers on the side. When I have gotten out of high school, I moved and worked the factory jobs and fighting the lay-offs and shut downs. So what a great move it felt to begin trying to work for myself in the lawn care industry which i'm very experienced and enjoy doing the work. I live in the midwest, so the mowing season is going to be starting soon and after all the research (which there isn't ever enough to learn about) I believe it's time to start rolling and my phone has already started ringing for bids. :D.......My advice to people is, Not knowing is expensive.. Do the homework and ask lots of questions

Hope there are some tips you businessmen or "ladies" :) can point me out to me or myself doing the same.

Good luck to everyone!

Steve
03-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi Johnny,

Welcome to our forum!

What kinds of things are you doing to get the phones ringing?

JR-
03-12-2010, 01:53 PM
door hangers, customer referral system, flyers, myspace, facebook and lots of business cards.. Yard signs were a big hit last year but i wasn't established as a company my first and what i know now that was a big risk....

Steve
03-12-2010, 05:16 PM
but i wasn't established as a company my first and what i know now that was a big risk....

Can you share your view on this? How do you feel that was a big risk?

JR-
03-17-2010, 03:14 AM
advertising without having a legal business name could result very bad things with the law inless you use your personal name as the business name , taxes umm ya i think we all know not to mess with uncle sam but we take chances as i did though and which changed my direction from that....feels much better not having to worry

Steve
03-17-2010, 05:23 PM
How have you found myspace and facebook marketing to work? Do you feel it's worth the time spent on it?

JR-
03-19-2010, 11:29 AM
well i'm still working on it, I do have them both setup but trying to add people and getting my name out there by that way is going to take alittle more time any tips on managing them would be great..for some reason i really feel it's a great way of giving people much more details on your business..

Steve
03-19-2010, 07:46 PM
I experimented with myspace and found it to be a waste. Maybe others on here are finding it more useful.

If you are very personable and have time to spend on interacting with local members of your community. Answering their questions or educating them about lawn care, then maybe it would be rewarding. But all too often I just don't see that happen.