PDA

View Full Version : newbie

Dmmckaskey
03-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Hey, Ive been a long time listener on the youtube videos over the last year or so. Great tips and advice. Now thats its spring i feel its time to get serious and grow my business. Let me tell yall a lil about myself

I started my business when i was 14 cutting 3 yards a week with a push mower out of the trunk of my dads car. it grew mostly by word of mouth and i bought my truck, trailer, walk-behind, edgers and blower. Had it all paid off b4 i graduated high-school. I worked a year and got up to 40 clients that last summer. I closed my business to do a 2 year mission trip for my church. when i came back the area i lived in was in a serious drought and i felt that my lawn mowing days were behind me. After a while people kept asking me to do work for them. So ive decided to get serious about doing my lawn service full time now while im going through college.

I hope to get some great information to help me on this forum, and hope to help out others where i can.

Thanks.
~DM:cool:

Steve
03-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi DM,

Welcome to our forum!

What's the plan now to get things back on track? What will you be doing to get the word out?

Also, since you have been in business quite some time even as a teen, we see a question pop up a lot on here that I think you could help us with.

What advice do you have for the teens who are performing lawn care and want their business to be 'legit' registered and insured. But if because of local laws, they can't register a business because of their age or can't purchase insurance yet, what should they do?

Dmmckaskey
03-03-2010, 12:00 PM
when I was a teenager I often wondered about that my self. "how to become a legit business?" it wasn't till i was 18 that i was truly licensed and insured. i was always up front with my customers about this. when i was younger i explained to them that i was still in school and i may not have time to get to them (ie exams and such) but as far as tax reasons/ liability i took a huge risk. Just dont ever think of your self as a small business. if you got the equipment just like the pros then dont be afraid to charge pro prices.

Im 24 now and am still in college

Dmmckaskey
03-03-2010, 12:10 PM
What's the plan now to get things back on track? What will you be doing to get the word out?

as of now im printing out fliers and passing them out. Ive been calling up old contacts and seeing if they are interested in having me come back.. Also ive been getting in touch with some other types of business owners/ property managers. my night job as a valet actually lets me do this fairly well. i carry business cards with me everyware I go. pass the out at stores gas stations my gym. just to get my name out. most are not intrested or cant afford it. but I only need one account and it pays for the cost in the first month. and most of this has landed me many account prospects. lets see how it goes once the grass starts growing. :D

Steve
03-04-2010, 11:12 AM
This sounds like it will be a very exciting year for you! Keep us posted on your growth!