PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Air bags

LawnMedic
03-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Anyone use suspension air bags on their light duty trucks? Was wondering how much weight you can add on even though the frame isnt as strong?

Steve
03-03-2010, 12:52 PM
That is an interesting question!

What kind of truck are you using and what would you like the air bags to be able to do for you?

LawnMedic
03-03-2010, 01:46 PM
more weight to hold. thye claim up to 5000 lbs for a 1500 dodge

picframer
03-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Anyone use suspension air bags on their light duty trucks? Was wondering how much weight you can add on even though the frame isnt as strong?

On our Ford Rangers we use the Tambor system, somewhat similar with the weight distribution bars, I can pull 6,000 pounds no problem which many don't believe until they see it, even the guys at Deere can't get over what I pull

XtreemGreen
03-03-2010, 07:12 PM
On our Ford Rangers we use the Tambor system, somewhat similar with the weight distribution bars, I can pull 6,000 pounds no problem which many don't believe until they see it, even the guys at Deere can't get over what I pull

Has DOT ever questioned you about that?

picframer
03-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Has DOT ever questioned you about that?

Yes, in the spring we get pulled over all the time when pulling excavators and some of the bigger tractors, always pass with flying colors as I pay to register the trailers for their max weight, and we are generally pulling 70% or less, what you do not want here is goose neck trailers, the new rules are ridiculous.

XtreemGreen
03-03-2010, 08:03 PM
I would have thought because of the small truck...Hard to believe the rear end and frame hold up to that much weight...

picframer
03-04-2010, 05:37 AM
I would have thought because of the small truck...Hard to believe the rear end and frame hold up to that much weight...

I think the two of them were built on good days as I have had no issues at all, I also run 6 ply tires which are critical when hauling heavy loads. What has surprised me is the clutch is still perfect in the trucks, I was concerned they would go first, they sure like their fuel, last summer the one I drive was going through $70 to $80 every two days at the peak of things.

These trucks have a great frame, their weakness is the springs, both of these trucks have the factory towing package.