PDA

View Full Version : Which is better Kohler Command or Kawasaki V-Twin

figtree
03-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking at the following two mowers a Laser Z 60" with a 25HP KOHLER COMMAND and Lazer Z 52" with a Kawasaki 23hp V-Twin. My question is which of the two has the better engine and why and what are the hour average life on these as well?

Thank you in advance for the info.

SuperiorPower
03-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking at the following two mowers a Laser Z 60" with a 25HP KOHLER COMMAND and Lazer Z 52" with a Kawasaki 23hp V-Twin. My question is which of the two has the better engine and why and what are the hour average life on these as well?

Thank you in advance for the info.

My personal opinion is the Kawasaki engine is better quality.

Your question about the average hour life of the engine is a bit vague since There are 3 different Command series and Kawasaki has several 23 HP v-twins. My recommendation on that is for you to ask the dealer what the life expectancy difference is. They will have the exact model #s and should have easy access to it with that.

Good luck,
Eli

mharbert
03-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I haven't used the Kawasaki's, but I really like the 25 hp Kolher Command that my Buddy put in his JD420 repower project. He had the choice between Briggs/Honda/Kohler and he choose the Kohler.. He now swears by it. The govener doesn't open up unless the load is a BIG load b/c the engine has a ton of power. It sounds great too.

I guess the best thing about Kolher is that they make it in the USA.. Part are easy to get at www.opegnines.com my last complete k181 (8hp) rebuild cost me around $360 in parts but its great knowing that when the engine needs to be rebuilt, parts are here and easy to get!

I'd ask your dealer to loan you both machines so you can test them.. I would think the dealer would be able to tell you what customers like best.. If your dealer doesn't sell many, call a larger dealer in a bigger city..

Steve
03-12-2010, 04:30 AM
my last complete k181 (8hp) rebuild cost me around $360 in parts but its great knowing that when the engine needs to be rebuilt, parts are here and easy to get!

What did you fix or replace in your rebuild? How long did it take?

picframer
03-12-2010, 04:38 AM
The guys on the garden and lawn tractor forum would tell you hands down the Kawasaki, I honestly have no idea long term but they do make a good engine, Deere runs them in a lot of their commercial lawn care gear.

SuperiorPower
03-31-2010, 04:20 PM
I haven't used the Kawasaki's, but I really like the 25 hp Kolher Command that my Buddy put in his JD420 repower project. He had the choice between Briggs/Honda/Kohler and he choose the Kohler.. He now swears by it. The govener doesn't open up unless the load is a BIG load b/c the engine has a ton of power. It sounds great too.

I guess the best thing about Kolher is that they make it in the USA.. Part are easy to get at www.opegnines.com (http://www.opegnines.com) my last complete k181 (8hp) rebuild cost me around $360 in parts but its great knowing that when the engine needs to be rebuilt, parts are here and easy to get!

I'd ask your dealer to loan you both machines so you can test them.. I would think the dealer would be able to tell you what customers like best.. If your dealer doesn't sell many, call a larger dealer in a bigger city..

Personally, if given the choice between Kohler or Honda, I would go with Honda. With no questions asked unless the price difference were to great which is very unlikely.

As far as parts for Kohler, or any other machine, you can also buy them at your local power equipment dealer. And most likely for a similar price and without having to pay the shipping. I personally prefer to keep my money local. If you tell your dealer that you want to do business with them because they are local you will likely get a much better response (granted you are being honest about that).