PDA

View Full Version : Best grass spreader

MikeO
03-02-2010, 05:11 AM
Just wondering what people generally use for grass spreader. Been reading that the hand held one works good and some use the attachment on the tractor mower. Anybody ever use something different besides those two?

thanks.

picframer
03-02-2010, 05:59 AM
Just wondering what people generally use for grass spreader. Been reading that the hand held one works good and some use the attachment on the tractor mower. Anybody ever use something different besides those two?

thanks.

We have three, a hand held and Turf Builder push model from Scotts, they are excellent and you can dial in the application rate, these two did us most of the season however we started picking up some large areas and pushing was simply too slow so we added the tow unit from John Deere.

Even with using the tow unit, we found that we still need the handheld or the push unit as there are always spots you can't get to with a tow unit.

At the moment I am considering a 3 pt hitch spreader for the X749 as I could get into tight spots with it, the cost is pretty steep although it would pay for itself within a month, it will also spread sand and salt for the winter months which I don't really want to get into for two reasons, the salt will eat away at the tractors, I have seen tractors two years old from the University that were in really sad shape due to salt and Insurance. You see the majority of our clients are on wells so we have to be desperate careful what we spread or spray to avoid water problems. My current Insurance provider will not allow us to spread salt.

lklandscaping
03-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Eventhough it is a $200.00 fine where I work, I find thatyour favorite granular fertilizer spreader is normally your favorite seeder.

While we are on that topic, do any of you have experience with hydro-seeding.